Talk

Advanced search

The lister

(6 Posts)
Chlo22 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:42:59

Hi,
Considering going down the ivf route and had quite a few people recommend the lister to us. They are not close friends (work colleagues and boss of my dh) so I can't ask directly as i would if it was a friend of mine. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? Thanks so much

RhubarbRocks Sun 02-Apr-17 18:04:12

Hi
I did three rounds at the Lister (plus one false start where I had to stop the round) and one at Create. I found the two consultants I saw at the Lister (James Nicopollous and Raef Feris) very kind and helpful. As well as tailoring to meet my needs and being patient with my endless questions face to face, they also answered questions by email out of hours and I felt treated as an individual.

Alison the sonographer was lovely. I had an unpleasant experience with another sonographer who was insensitive and unprofessional when she scanned me and told me pregnancy was unviable, but I think she was a locum and was the exception to the rest of staff there.

Egg collection is done by general anaesthetic and was calm, with a private room, Molton brown toiletries, nice food after etc. You have a room all day - I really quite enjoyed being looked after for a day!

The admin was about a million times better than create. I sometimes felt they timed my egg collection to avoid weekends - I felt we went to early one cycle and too late on another, but who knows....

Had a few long waits in the waiting room, but when I had my miscarriage I was with the consultant for ages and never felt rushed - so you trade off not always having your appointment bang on time with having the time you need with staff when you need it. Just take a book/some work to do and expect to wait a bit.

I didn't have a successful result in the end but I don't think that is any reflection on the Lister - just my bad luck.

My only complaint is the pharmacy downstairs which is soooo slow and inefficient.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chlo22 Sun 02-Apr-17 18:28:17

Thank you very much for your reply and for all the info. Can I ask how did you go about choosing the clinics? Did you go privately or nhs? Our consultant told us in jan that we were eligible for treatment because of low morphology when dh did sperm analysis but said it wasn't really a very bad result so see what happens for a few months. We then got pg but it sadly ended in a mmc so she has now said we're not eligible but we've been trying for 18months and really want to make it happen now so willing to pay privately. We had an early mc when we first started ttc so currently having tests done to check for any problems regarding that but we've had some back already and all ok so want to have a bit of help I think. I know some clinics are better in certain areas but lister seems very good overall. Did you have a positive outcome at create?

RhubarbRocks Sun 02-Apr-17 19:52:10

Hi. No I went to create first and it was unsuccessful. I'm sure it is great for some people but I found it hugely stressful as their admin was so appalling - very disorganised and impossible to get an answer out of them. So I then moved to the lister. I chose it because a very close friend and the sister of another close friend had been to the Lister - both got pregnant first time and they said they liked it.

I also chose it because they seemed organised, were easily accessible to me from work and home and had good outcomes. I don't think it's fair to mark them down because it wasn't successful - that is my body and the luck of the draw rather than the Lister I expect.

I went privately as wasn't eligible on NHS under my CCG's policy.

The fertility friends website might be worth a look as people post about different clinics.

Chlo22 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:03:04

Thank you again for the info. You've posted a very fair and honest review, which it is often very hard to find and often biased by people's experiences/outcomes (understandably).

RhubarbRocks Mon 03-Apr-17 05:52:36

No worries. Happy my experience of it can help someone else. Best of luck with it all and let me know if you have any other questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now