Talk

Advanced search

Natural Frozen Cycle on NHS

(12 Posts)
Sussex1983 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:08:08

I've had one fresh transfer on the NHS which resulted in a mmc at six weeks (had one failed fresh transfer & one frozen transfer resulting in another mmc with private treatment).
I am due back at my NHS hospital next month to discuss a frozen transfer, for this they want to 'control' my cycle with drugs similar to HRT. As our issue is male factor, I couldn't see any reason for this, checked with the consultant at my private clinic who is of the opinion this would not be of any additional benefit / success rate and is purely to help the hospital control the cycle in terms of dates for treatment.

I feel like my body has been pumped full of enough hormones & I am really reluctant to take further medication unless it's necessary & beneficial.
My intention is to tell my NHS doctor that I want a natural cycle - has anyone any experience of this, is it going to be a massive fight & struggle to have this agreed ?

Sussex1983 Fri 31-Mar-17 14:10:53

Anyone ?
I should probably have also asked if anyone disagrees with my thought process & thinks I'm daft not to follow the NHS advice & procedure

Annab1983 Fri 31-Mar-17 14:40:03

No it's not daft I would be interested in this too and can't find much info on it! I am in the 2WW of a fresh cycle and one in the freezer.. I hated pumping myself full of hormones and my cycles are regular as clockwork.. so if this fails I would be interested in this. I imagine it is cheaper for NHS also!

BiggerBoatNeeded Fri 31-Mar-17 14:59:37

Sorry in advance for the essay...

I had a natural FET and met no resistance at all from the NHS but I was clearly an anomaly and everyone kept assuming we were doing a medicated cycle. Got boring correcting the Drs, nurses, reception staff. It was a bit cheaper but not really enough to be a deciding factor. I just hate down regulating so wanted to avoid it. My frozen embryo was of average quality so I didn't want it to not defrost and all the discomfort of dr to be for nothing.

One thing I would say is that I ended up being quite anxious about whether I'd detected the LH surge properly as this is very important in a natural FET so you have to be confident in doing this. Some clinics do scan to check for ovulation, mine didn't, but if they did then that would have made me feel better.

You could ask your clinic if they have any stats on success for natural vs medicated FET. Mine said they didn't do enough natural ones to give me that info. I'm unsure that was true tbh.

The end result of my natural FET was an ectopic pregnancy. There is no reason to believe this had anything to do with it being natual, was just one of those things. That said I prob wouldn't do a natural one again as I got so anxious about getting the right ovulation day.

Good luck whatever you decide to do flowers

BiggerBoatNeeded Fri 31-Mar-17 15:00:04

P.s. Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

Sussex1983 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:41:57

Thanks so much for coming back.

BiggerBoat - this is something I hadn't thought of. When I had my natural cycle privately I had bloods taken to ensure I was ovulating & the date was correct for transfer. I suspect the NHS may tell me that they can't /don't do this.

I'm getting myself so worked up about having this conversation with them, but I really do not want to be taking hormones that have no benefit other than convenience - but am also at panicked & anxious stage (that I may never be successful) that I just don't have the energy for a fight about it either

BiggerBoatNeeded Fri 31-Mar-17 15:49:53

It's all so annoyingly dependent on the individual NHS clinic isn't it? But maybe take heart from the fact that they were totally ok with it at mine (and they were dicks about most other things wink). Because they also tend to do IUI they're used to all the natural ovulation checking even if they don't do many natural FETs. Could you try asking to reception over the phone if they do natural FETs so that you can be a bit prepared rather than having to deal with it if they don't during a consultation?

Sussex1983 Fri 31-Mar-17 16:09:17

I had mentioned it when I called to book in for my cycle & that's when they gave me a May appointment !
Hopefully I am winding myself up & it will be fine . Hopefully (!!)

blackcherries Mon 03-Apr-17 22:24:53

thanks for the info biggerboat. I am hoping to do a natural FET with my clinic but they haven't given me any info yet. Do you know if it's possible to do straight after a fresh cycle (chemical pregnancy here)? They asked if my periods were regular which they are, fairly.

What is the general procedure - what happens on ovulation day? Do you take any progesterone after?

Is it more common to down reg etc for a FET?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm impatient as not meeting clinic until next week and worried they'll put me off another month when I'll possibly be on holiday and I'm desperate not to lose any more time.

blackcherries Mon 03-Apr-17 22:25:43

ps our issue is male factor too

BiggerBoatNeeded Tue 04-Apr-17 09:26:03

Hi blackcherries. We waited 3 months after our previous failed cycle before the FET but I think that was dictated by the NHS waiting times etc. As I recall we had to redo the consent signing and they wouldn't even let us initiate the FET cycle until we'd had the follow up appt for the failed cycle (a chemical pregnancy like yours, very sorry to hear this happened to you flowers). I am sure this was just to stagger their patients' cycles more evenly as they are hugely over stretched in our area.

It is definitely more common to down regulate before a FET - it was clearly my clinic's default expectation. How much of that is because it gives them more control over the timings as it makes their life easier I am not sure but I have my suspicions.

Re the general procedure, at the consent signing appointment they gave me lots of ovulation sticks and explained the order of things. From a few days before anticipated ovulation (exact number explained on the instructions on the ov sticks which were just basic ones you can get from the chemist, nothing special) I tested and when I got a positive they booked in the embryo transfer for 5 days after that (I had a day 5 blastocyst). Because you aren't down regulating you technically shouldn't really need progesterone as you should produce your own from when you ovulated. However I think the clinic give the cyclogest as standard for all FET and I so I took those but I can't recall what day I took them from, sorry. I definitely had one internal scan but can't for the life of me clearly recall what it was for, it was after I ovulated because I remember her looking to see if she could see where I ovulated from - I think it was to check my lining was ok. And that's about it. Much less invasive that a fresh cycle or a medicated FET but still that niggling worry about whether I'd got ov day right.

Good luck with whatever you do next.

blackcherries Tue 04-Apr-17 22:54:43

thank you, you have no idea how helpful that is! I don't know why my clinic can't give me the generic info.
Was your FET successful?

I am so desperate not to waste any time it's beginning to make me a bit anxious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now