Talk

Advanced search

AMH result

(8 Posts)
Avocadosmoothie Thu 30-Mar-17 12:31:01

Hi, the medical secretary at my fertility clinic just read my AMH result over the phone to me and it was 56.44 pmol. I have to wait a couple of weeks to speak to the doctor so in he meantime, does anyone know where this is on very poor to very excellent spectrum? Thanks!

JoJoSM2 Thu 30-Mar-17 13:00:49

It sounds like PCOS. I'm not a doctor but it's seems way above the healthy range even for a very young woman.

MrsCrankypants Thu 30-Mar-17 13:06:58

I agree, this will probably indicate PCOS. Mine was about 30 and I was told I had lots of eggs but poor quality because of it. It's something they can work with though, if you go on to have treatment they can tailor the fertility drugs to improve your egg quality. There's a good book called It Started with The Egg that will also tell you how to do this.

Avocadosmoothie Thu 30-Mar-17 13:11:02

I agree. I've had PCOS discussions with doctors in the past but have never been diagnosed (although this is the first time I've had an AMH test so that was never taken into account). My hormone profile (excluding AMH) is apparently 'boderline' PCOS but I have had a scan showing a corpus luteal body I.e. Proof that I ovulate. In the month I had this AMH test I was also taking clomid - I wonder if that has an impact on the result?

Grateful for any other comments 😄

Thanks

JoJoSM2 Thu 30-Mar-17 17:11:10

I don't know if Clomid would change anything but as far as I'm aware, women with PCOS do have more eggs and have their menopause later than other women.

bananafish81 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:02:34

It's entirely possible to have PCO but not PCOS

Unless you have irregular or absent ovulation as well as polycystic ovaries, it's unlikely to be the syndrome

Just means that you're at high risk of over stimulating if you have IVF so they tailor your protocol accordingly

toffeepuddin Thu 30-Mar-17 20:50:14

bananafish ive seen your comments and it seems you know your stuff with infertility and IVF. can I ask.. I have AMH of 14.2 but my ovaries are indicated that theyre polycystic, 30 plus on each ovary. I ovulate regularly I believe, have regular periods. So with a low AMH and PCO, I'm on long protocol, but I'm afraid they will not stimulate me enough or too much. its my first cycle I don't know what to expect...what dosage will they start me on would you think?

bananafish81 Sat 01-Apr-17 14:27:23

If you're low AMH then that wouldn't suggest you're at high risk of OHSS. Certainly unusual to have a very high AFC (antral follicle count) without correspondingly high AMH, but makes sense to go with the AMH as the guide for protocol and stimulation

As long as they're monitoring you carefully, the fact you have lots of resting follicles will hopefully mean you can get a good crop of eggs with a modest dose of stims

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now