Talk

Advanced search

What would you do?

(5 Posts)
user1475500324 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:35:24

I hope this is the right place to post. I am looking for advice, and yes I have seen several doctors and 2 gynaecologists so I have tried getting medical advice. I will try and keep it short.

I am 35 years old, very overweight. (21 stone) I have had regualar normal periods my entire life. I have always been big, but a few years ago I went through a period of depression and anxiety and gained even more weight pushing me up a few more stone.

My periods started to change, I started to miss one here and there, then have months of very light prolonged bleeding. This pattern continued. I also started gettting Migraines which I have never suffered from before.

GP sent checked hormone levels - results apparently all normal. Sent me for transvaginal scan where I was told she couldnt see my ovaries clearly and it was probably my weight causing the problem.

So I lost 2 stone quickly and am still going.

I had a period that was severe flooding and clots, and the worst cramps I have ever felt. I went to a private gynaecologist who was a bit kinder. She prescibed norethisterone to stop the bleeding and said my hormone levels (I brought the results) did not indicate PCOS and that what was happening was that I was not ovulating so the lining of the womb was thickening and then shedding causing prolonged bleeding. She advised me to get the coil or injection.

I wanted to see how things progressed after the norethisterone but I have not had a period since, and that was around 6 months ago. I am still losing weight but have a lot more to lose, and my mental health is much better aswell.

I guess what I am asking is - am I infertile now? Is that it? Or could it be perimenopause? I do get hot and cold spells but apparently my hormones didn't indicate that either.

Recent smear was fine. If you were me what would be your next step? Apart from losing weight which I am doing. Thanks

Chocogoingcuckoo Mon 27-Mar-17 18:08:34

Hey, well done on the weight loss. It can be so hard especially when hormones and mental health are not so great. If you were peri-menopausal it would have shown in the hormone blood results.

If I could go back in time to my 20's when I had concerns of infertility (but doctors told me not to worry as hormone levels were ok) I wouldn't waste time and would be more forceful with gynaecologists and seriously consider freezing some embryos using donor sperm (I read thawing of frozen eggs isn't as successful). At age 30 my concerns were validated when hormone checks showed I had premature ovarian failure and am now menopausal.

JoJoSM2 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:01:47

Well done on the weight loss front. Have you had professional advice on your diet? It could be that you're losing weight but perhaps your diet isn't great for balancing hormones? Other than that, how long have you been trying to conceive? Has your partner had his semen tested?

blue2014 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:21:45

Sorry I'm not sure I've read it right but are you concerned about not having periods? Because you know the norethiserone will be stopping them? It's the mini pill, taken back to back if frequently prevents periods

user1475500324 Wed 29-Mar-17 11:25:15

Thanks for the advice people.

I have made another doctors appointment for next week to have another talk.

blue2014 I only took norethisterone to stop a heavy episode of bleeding. I took it for about 2 weeks, around 6 months ago, and haven't had a period since.

I would like to get my hormone levels checked again, and see where to go from here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now