We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

IVF for pcos

(8 Posts)
YouBoggleMyMind Wed 22-Mar-17 10:49:24

Can anyone tell talk to me about their experiences with ivf for pcos?

I'm on my last round of clomid and if that doesn't work, likely next step is ivf. We get one shot on the NHS.

I'm starting to feel nervous. I just wanted to get a picture of what it looks like and to get myself in a realistic head space.

MoosicalDaisy Wed 22-Mar-17 15:28:02

It will be like a normal IVF cycle but they will just be more aware with the amount of drugs they give you and more cautious if they need to increase doses. I wouldn't worry about it at all smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 23-Mar-17 09:03:18

Its a massive leap between clomid and IVF and this should really be tried only after all other treatment avenues have been exhausted. There are other things that can be tried first re PCOS patients; has anything like injectables or laparoscopic ovarian diathermy surgery been suggested?.

PCOS patients can run the risk of ovarian hyperstimulation in the IVF process so such patients have to be closely monitored.

YouBoggleMyMind Thu 23-Mar-17 09:11:07

I've declined ovarian drilling but will go back asking to try injectables first before ivf. I have also read that ohss is an issue with pcos ivf and if that cycle gets abandoned, I don't get another nhs cycle so keen to avoid that.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 23-Mar-17 10:11:59

May I ask why you declined the diathermy surgery?. I think injectibles are certainly an option before IVF as well.

GuinessPunch Thu 23-Mar-17 11:11:16

3 made of clomid didn't work for me. Pregnant after 1 ivf.

YouBoggleMyMind Thu 23-Mar-17 13:06:28

I declined it due to the risks associated with it. I hope I can do injections before IVF.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 23-Mar-17 13:21:29

What risks?. I get that no operation is fully without risk but its a tried and trusted keyhole surgery type operation. (Its also the reason why I am a parent so I am declaring an interest).

In your case it should all be discussed with your medical team further; it is down to them to tell you exactly why such treatments are being suggested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now