Talk

Advanced search

Mary Berry/Delia Infertility

(9 Posts)
SammyL100 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:33:55

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/mary-berry-reveals-advantage-over-10071317

Slightly different thread but I am a big Berry fan so was very disappointed at her comments about Delia Smith (basically Delia couldn't have kids so did not benefit from their feedback, Mary had kids so had an advantage ).

Delia suffered from infertility and was told dhe couldn't have kids. This must have been very painful for her so for Mary Berry to use this as a stick to beat her with is cruel. Childless women are now told they're not good enough cooks?!

Sorry but I thought these comments were very insensitive.

closephine85 Wed 22-Mar-17 14:35:52

Oh no Mary sad do you think she'd had one too many of the sherrys meant for the trifle before making those comments? (Not trying to make light of it, am also really disappointed to read this!)

Smurfpoo Wed 22-Mar-17 14:39:30

If i remember rightly Mary had fertility issues too. Admittedly she went onto have children. Her and Delia were fairly friendly before Delia took a back seat from the lime light so i would imagine what she said has been taken out of context or something

Floggingmolly Wed 22-Mar-17 14:44:37

Bloody hell, Mary! confused

MistressMerryWeather Wed 22-Mar-17 14:51:05

Mary Berry was a real dickhead to say such a hurtful thing.

I thought the recipes on her last cooking program were shite anyway kids or no kids.

I have always love Delias stuff.

Butterymuffin Wed 22-Mar-17 14:53:58

I'm not a fan of Delia's cooking but what the hell has it got to do with whether she has children or not? And when would anyone ever have said this about a male chef? Very disappointing of Mary Berry. Reminds me of Andrea Leadsom's comments to Theresa May - don't like May either but that was also out of order, however much Leadsom tried to backtrack on it later.

Mungobungo Wed 22-Mar-17 14:54:38

I get the feeling that Bezza has been paraphrased and taken out of context.

As a childless infertile I feel that I should be horrified but I don't believe that she would say such a thing and think the paper/journo is being a total douche, as usual.

She's probably spoken about how her family have been critical in the last and how she feels that has spurred her on to success, rather than 'I'm better than Delia because I popped a few kids out and fed them; Delia is substandard because she's never borne children'.

As usual, the papers making news where there is none.

MistressMerryWeather Wed 22-Mar-17 15:01:46

"Because I've got children I'm very lucky because they say 'don't do that again mum',"

"I always feel that Delia, who I think is absolutely brilliant, hasn't had the advantage of having children like I have because you don't half get the truth,"

Wholey unnecessary IMO no matter how you spin it.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 22-Mar-17 15:02:11

Marry Berry is not a nice, soft, twinkly person, she is as hard as nails. Which is admirable for someone who has carved themselves a very successful long term career in a very competitive area. I have no idea if she realised her comments would be hurtful when she said them, or if they are rooted in old-fashioned beliefs and she doesn't care that they may be hurtful. But she has some very forthright ideas about women and their role in the world which do not sit comfortably with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now