Talk

Advanced search

First appointment at fertility clinic coming up...what to expect

(5 Posts)
Bows85 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:31:18

Hi,
I have been referred to the gynaecology dept at our local fertility clinic (NHS) and just hoping for some advice about what is likely to happen.
We've been referred because of my long, irregular cycles (ranging from 31-51 days, and they seem to be getting longer each cycle).
From OPKs and tracking bbt, I do appear to be ovulating (waiting for blood test results to confirm this) but my luteal phase is only 9/10 days.
I've had a pelvic ultrasound which pretty much ruled out PCOS - I don't have any of the symptoms other than irregular cycles and scan showed that everything was "normal".
DH was referred for semen analysis and made his deposit this morning, so we'll hopefully get his results at a GP appointment a week on Monday.
Does anyone have any advice for me as to what might happen at our appointment?
Thanks smile

toffeepuddin Sat 18-Mar-17 22:46:07

Hi OP. So you have been referred from the GP to the gynaecology department in hospital? In this case, they will look at your blood tests and scan results from your GP and see what the next step is. Whether that is, a hycosy to test tubes etc or clomid if your not ovulating regularly. Depending what they find they will refer you for the relevant treatment whether clomid or a laparscopy. If it comes back all clear and you have unexplained infertility and you have been trying for 2 years (like myself) then they will put you on the IVF waiting list.
It totally depends on what your gynaecologist finds and recommends. Good luck OP

Bows85 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:47:58

Thanks for the reply @toffeepuddin

Yeah, I've been referred to gynae department which is in the fertility centre. We're not at the two year mark yet but it's good to know what might happen in the future if we get inconclusive results.

It sounds like you've had a long journey to get to where you're at so I bet you're pleased to get your IVF referral. Good luck with it, I hope you have some happy news soon smile

toffeepuddin Sun 19-Mar-17 16:23:57

grinI hope so too. It's been a long journey yes, but I did save time by getting my tubes tested and I tried clomid privately. It costs but it did save time once I had my NHS referal. At this point they will do their investigations and see if anything comes up. Good luck

Bows85 Sun 19-Mar-17 21:02:41

Do you mind me asking how much your private treatment cost @toffeepuddin? I would hate for us to have to wait weeks and weeks on NHS if we could potentially get something quicker privately...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now