What determines long or short protocol IVF?

(6 Posts)
Avocadosmoothie Thu 16-Mar-17 22:41:16

Hi, can anyone explain to me what would determine whether long or short protocol IVF is recommended? Thanks

bananafish81 Fri 17-Mar-17 02:27:18

Long protocol tends to be the default for women with normal ovarian reserve

Short protocol tends to be the protocol of choice for both (counterintuitively) poor responders (low AMH) and high responders (high AMH / PCOS)

There are actually two types of short protocol - 99% of the time when anyone mentions short protocol, they'll be referring to a short antagonist protocol. There's another kind of short protocol known as a short flare protocol (a short agonist protocol) which is rarely used for poor responders

For all intents and purposes I'd ignore the latter and assume that short protocol means a Cetrotide or Orgalutran protocol

Good luck

Avocadosmoothie Fri 17-Mar-17 07:43:33

Thanks banana. I understand long protocol starts on CD21, does that mean the doctor would tell you not to try to conceive naturally that month? Thanks

bananafish81 Fri 17-Mar-17 07:53:34

Yep. No TTC naturally that month.

Annab1983 Fri 17-Mar-17 07:55:07

I am currrently on long protocol (despite pretty low amh) never really got an explanation for this! Suspect due to being 34 and conceiving naturally previously.. My spray started on day 21 and the notes said to use non hormonal protection from your period of the cycle before starting the spray, i.e. Day 1 of the cycle where the spray will start on day 21, and do so until the end of the 2ww, due to all the hormones involved.. didn't apply to me as I cant conceive naturally but must not be a good idea to take all the hormones if you even have the slightest chance of conceiving yourself.. good luck!!

Avocadosmoothie Fri 17-Mar-17 08:04:58

Thanks both, so helpful! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now