We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bizarre rituals/superstitions?

(2 Posts)
notpastaagain Thu 16-Mar-17 19:48:13

Does anybody else have any bizarre rituals/superstitions that suddenly kick in when you are IVFing?

I've been through a fresh IVF cycle and spotting magpies suddenly became very important to me. If I only saw one magpie, it was a bad omen and of course meant the IVF was doomed to fail ("one for sorrow, two for joy" etc). Subconsciously, I would then be looking out for more magpies throughout the day, feeling a wave of relief when seeing more. I'm not at all superstitious normally! Having been through a FET recently, the magpie spotting began again in earnest.

Also, during the first cycle, I found a plastic lamb farmyard toy on a river walk that somebody had left in a crack in the wall by the footpath. It was spring and I immediately took it to be a positive sign of new life. I have to admit, I've still got the little lamb - I keep it in my wedding ring box.

Has anybody else got similarly strange tales to tell...

closephine85 Thu 16-Mar-17 20:19:42

I count the magpies too! Particularly 3 for a girl, 4 for a boy... clearly if I see those numbers then that is my month and that's what I'll have!

I also have a gem stone (carnelion? I think) given to me on a fertility yoga course. I keep it in my coat pocket and if I put my hand into my pocket I have to hold onto it for a few seconds before I take my hand out again.

Mine are not exclusive to ivf... I do them every month in the vain hope of a miraculous natural conception too!

Although when in Greece for our ivf round I did make a bead bracelet made with beads I bought from the flea market and kept it in my wallet. Decided if I took it out the round wouldn't work. I didn't, it didn't and for some reason the bracelet is still in there...?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now