Talk

Advanced search

OE IVF abroad, which clinic did you choose and why?

(17 Posts)
BeauHeaux Thu 02-Mar-17 19:06:14

Hi,

We're just starting to explore the option of IVF and are thinking of doing it abroad. I'm 40.

Researching it seems to be a minefield! There are so many options in so many clinics. For now, we would be doing OE until advised otherwise. DH has been tested, and there are no sperm issues.

I'm wondering, what clinic did you go to, and what were the important factors that made you choose your clinic, such as cost or experience with us more mature ladies?

I'd be extremely grateful to hear your reasoning for choosing one clinic over another as it might help me pick my way through the minefield.

MrsEricBana Thu 02-Mar-17 19:20:05

Sorry I wrote really long reply and lost it. Close friend went to the following after trying every other option here. Wonderful care and she is now seriously pregnant! I think her main reason was the fantastic amount of info they received about the egg donor and the general service (I realise you said OE so bit different).
www.shadygrovefertility.com (she flew to Washington and think was the Maryland clinic)
Good luck!

Goodthingscome2those Thu 02-Mar-17 20:24:33

I'm currently looking into this too after two failed fresh cycles and one FET here in the UK.

I was advised that the Spanish are very advanced and have read good things/been recommended the IVI clinics so I'm pretty much decided to go with them. They have recently opened up a clinic in London which is more expensive but then you need to add flights/hotel etc to clinics in Spain.

I'll be interested to read others thoughts as I've just turned 40 too.

Good luck with your cycle OP xx

BeauHeaux Thu 02-Mar-17 22:10:28

Yes, Spain is very much on my radar, particularly IVI, as is Cube in Prague. I'm still very much in the research stages but hopefully looking to get going in early autumn. Also still grappling with the realisation that it has come to this, but onwards and upwards!

SouthPole Thu 02-Mar-17 22:15:07

Two time surrogate here. The parents tried many many clinics themselves (money no issue for them and an extremely bright mother who was very into research). We had 6 rounds for the first baby (one of the failures was an ectopic do you could say two worked) and I'm 30 weeks with the second after our first go!!

All thanks to the amazing Penny at Serum, Athens. Fertilityfriends.co.uk is useful.

Really good luck to you.

BeauHeaux Thu 02-Mar-17 22:35:48

That's fantastic! I have read wonderful things about Serum on here, I should look into it more. The only offputting thing for me is the distance/taking time off work. Although Penny seems to have worked miracles for so many couples.

Londonjam Fri 03-Mar-17 09:54:04

Hi, I'm also looking at overseas IVF options and reading these recommendations with interest. IVI Spain sounds interesting but at €4995 starting price is not that much less than the uk?

How much is Serum? I can't see any prices on their website..

Isthismummy Fri 03-Mar-17 13:10:18

Londonjam. I emailed serum recently and it's 3000 euros a cycle (not including meds) They also do two cycles for 4000 euros if done within a year.

If you email them you will get a very comprehensive reply. They are very helpful🙂 We will be going to them if our one and only NHS cycle doesn't work.

Londonjam Fri 03-Mar-17 13:44:27

Two cycles for €4000 seems very good. It's annoying when they don't include everything though! Why leave out meds if they are required for treatment?!

When do you start NHS IVF?

blue2014 Fri 03-Mar-17 15:22:30

Reprofit, Brno - Czech Republic. Things that mattered to me were success rates, communication (you can email your doctor) and cost (£3000 including meds)

closephine85 Fri 03-Mar-17 15:44:51

London - they will have left off the meds as they tailor the protocol specifically to you so the cost will vary depending on what you have. I think you need to allow about £1000.

We have just had our first cycle at Serum. Unfortunately it failed but I am still glad we chose there, I don't feel like the failure is through any fault of theirs. We ended up paying €3000 for the round plus €1000 to freeze our 2 remaining embryos (this is the cost of the FET so we won't pay anything next time). We didn't go for the extra €1000 for another round as we decided we will likely explore other options if the FET doesn't work. We also paid €100 per sperm DNA fragmentation test (something you can pay about £1000 for at some of the London clinics!!) of which we had 5. This was because my DH's came back as a high result so we he gave multiple samples and they used the one with the best results for IMSI (the cost of which is included in the €3000 which again you would pay about £1800 extra for in the uk).

closephine85 Fri 03-Mar-17 15:47:42

Sorry - my response may not seem totally relevant as I got confused and thought I was replying to London's thread about ivf + Isci!

Rememberallball Fri 03-Mar-17 16:30:53

We are slightly different as need DE ivf. We have chosen Gynolife in Nicosia Cyprus. Our cycle is €4500 (we have a €500 discount voucher through the egg donation friends website) including all treatment for donor and then it's €1000 for our stay in Cyprus 11 nights on a half board basis. On top of that we need flights and transfers. Only meds I've been prescribed are 1 I'm already on; 1 I can buy over the counter and the 3rd our gp has prescribed on the NHS. OE ivf is cheaper from a treatment point of view but higher from a meds point of view.

Cornwall73 Fri 03-Mar-17 16:53:15

We went to see Penny at Serum in Sept 2012 after three NHS failed cycles and two private ones which both ended in mc. I was getting on by then after 7yrs TTC so we knew donor eggs and sperm would give us the best chance. The first cycle failed but the second one was successful and I had twins two months short of my 40th birthday.

I really liked Serum and Penny and felt very safe in her hands and it was a very personalised protocol. The meds are not included because it is so personalised but also allows you to shop around. I compared prices in UK and Greece. Good luck!

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 04-Mar-17 19:46:13

Ivi in Madrid is more exspensive then serum gest reprofit

But for us as closer we could fly in and out in a day so worked out easier

They can't quote drugs as vary per peon the amount daily and how many days. To give you a rough guide mine cost £140 a day and originally had 10days so £1400 - but needed an extra 2 days so £240 so drugs were £1640 on top

Isthismummy Sun 05-Mar-17 08:07:43

Londonjam. As Closephine said the meds aren't included because they are tailored to your own situationsmile 4000euros is pretty good for two rounds. You lose the money from second cycle if you're lucky on first. I don't suppose anybody would really care about that if they get their baby though.

I've also heard good things about Serums DE program which is our next option.

I should be starting NHS cycle week after next fingers crossed. It feels like it's taken forever to get started. I spend half my time eyeing up the medication in my fridge in semi terror!

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 06-Mar-17 20:00:46

We used IVI Alicante. Got pregnant second cycle with de fet. Have crazy beautiful 2 year old DS now. Clinic is very professional and staff are lovely. I didn't feel like I was on a conveyor belt either x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now