Talk

Advanced search

Poor Sperm Morfology....

(5 Posts)
Coi123 Wed 22-Feb-17 10:00:43

Hello everyone, my husband and I had a fertility mot done and my results were fine but my husbands came back with poor sperm morphology (2%) they told to try not to worry (how can you not) as his sperm mobility was good and the count but they did say that ivf and icsi might be an option in a few months time. We have been ttc since October. Is there anyone here that had results like that and then had ivf? Thankyou in advance flowers

geeup Thu 23-Feb-17 09:06:06

Hi coi. I'm sorry about the low morphology reading. It's a horrible shock. A few bits of advice.
There's quite a few threads regarding this already in Infertility (including one called called 2% morphology and one called Desperately seeking male infertility success stories which I started). Have a read and you'll hear lots of stories as well as tips etc.
In brief, you definitely can still get pregnant with morphology of 2%, although may take a bit longer. However do get two more sperm analyses done - they vary massively so you can't get caught up on just one test especially if it's from a private IVF clinic who will encourage you straight to IVF with ICSI. Sperm renews every 90 days so if he had a big boozy session or a high temperature 3 months ago, that could affect the results. Wait 3 months, cut back booze and caffeine and sugary snacks and test again.
If they do show an ongoing problem, get your OH on Proxeed Plus twice a day - it may not be able to improve his morphology but it should improve his count and motility so the number within that 2% will be much bigger (2% of 100mill is a lot more than 2% of 1mill). Again, test again after at least 3 months to see if any affect.
You've only been trying less than 5 months. I know that feels like a long time but it's really not unusual at all. The NHS says most couples (about 84 out of every 100) will get pregnant within a year if they have regular sex and don’t use contraception. Try not to get despondent already as it can have a massive impact on your relationship especially for sex life.
Good luck and do post on the other threads - they have been a great support to me as we face the same issue.

2014newme Thu 23-Feb-17 09:08:21

Dh had plenty issues including this,we had icsi. Not much point in ivf in this case skip straight to icsi. We had 4 cycles £20k
Good luck 🍀

Londonjam Thu 23-Feb-17 09:17:45

Coi I'm in the exact same boat. Agree with geeup every word - very good advice especially getting him retested.

We had our first SA privately and DH had high count good motility but 2% morphology. The results said IVF ICSI at the bottom and we were totally shocked.

We went to our GP and she said the complete opposite - "your results are normal" and "you won't need IVF".

We have however been trying for over a year now so have been referred to the fertility unit at the hospital. We will see what they say next week.

Try not to worry too much. I've driven myself mad with google / and there is so much contradictory information out there. Good luck and hope you get a better result on a repeat.

Coi123 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:30:30

Thankyou so much for the detailed replies ladies. You gave far more valuable information than the private clinic did or the doctors at the nhs surgery. Thankyou for the heads up with the other threads geeup, I will look on those. Thanks again ladies, I hope we all get our babies in the near future smile good luck at the fertility clinic Londonjam xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now