Talk

Advanced search

Stress and illness during IVF 2ww - is this going to affect my chances?

(12 Posts)
closephine85 Sun 19-Feb-17 06:05:01

I had 2 blastocysts transferred on Wednesday and since then have had the complete opposite of the resting and 'taking it easy' recommended by the clinic.

Our treatment was abroad and our travel back turned into a complete nightmare with 2 flight cancellations and all the stress of traipsing back and forward around the airport, arguing with incompetent staff etc and on top of which my DS caught a stomach bug and was projectile vomiting across the airport every 30 minutes for 12 hours. I lost count of the amount of times I cried (including with relief when the plane finally landed on Friday afternoon).

Had a lovely relaxed day yesterday and then guess what? I started with the bug. Incredibly violent stomach bug which seems now to have passed but I'm so worried with all this that our embryos will have just thought 'F&£k this, we're outta here!' and basically it's going to ruin our chances.

DH is normally positive and tries to make me be more positive but even he is walking around saying it's just not meant to be sad

Google just tells me it might or it might not make a difference. I think I just needed a place to vent. But if anyone has experienced similar and it still worked, it would be nice to hear.

helterskelter99 Sun 19-Feb-17 06:08:28

Oh lovely it's a game of luck is Ivf it really is so fingers crossed it is all ok xx
Hope you feel better soon xx

feettothestars Sun 19-Feb-17 06:34:42

Oh goodness what a stressful time you've had shockI'm so sorry, the tww is tough enough when all is well. But listen. People do get ill when they're pregnant. They must also get poorly in the implantation window. And I threw up from 5 weeks every single day. I tend to think if the embryo is going to go the distance it will. The hard bit is not knowing but what you need now is as much rest as you can possibly get, calming things maybe some good meditations, fluids, the foods you feel like and you just need to sit these days out. They will pass. Wishing you all the luck.

closephine85 Sun 19-Feb-17 06:55:57

Thank you ladies for your kind words. I do know deep down that what will be will be. It would just have been nice to have felt like I'd done all I possibly could, rather than to keep being presented with another obstacle at every turn sad

leanandgreen Sun 19-Feb-17 10:13:49

Don't freak out Close. I was very stressed on my two week wait due to work and I had a huge argument with a loved one.

A couple of days before my test date, I blacked out and ended up in agony with stomach cramps and really bad diarrhoea. I decided to take a pg test because I had made up my mind that it hadnt worked and I didn't want to prolong the agony of waiting anymore for something that I had decided hadn't worked.
I took the test in floods of tears and couldn't believe my eyes when a second line appeared! I have just had my Seven week scan and we have a nice strong heart beat.

So you are not out yet. I had the stomach virus for the rest of the week and the doctors assured me that it wouldn't affect anything.

Sending you lots of positive vibes. X

closephine85 Sun 19-Feb-17 10:28:53

Thanks Lean and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Can I ask if you had any pregnancy symptoms before you tested? Yesterday morning I was experiencing little cramps and feeling hopeful they could be implantation but since the bug I've had nothing and just gone back to feeling totally normal sad

leanandgreen Sun 19-Feb-17 10:50:49

Hi Close, yes, I had AF cramps, I think that these were happening quite frequently near the end of my 2ww. I remember constantly going to the toilet to check, this was another reason why I tested before my test date.
I also felt really tired and slightly tender nipples.
When is your official test date?

closephine85 Sun 19-Feb-17 10:56:11

It's not until next Sunday blush which would be 12dp5dt but think I'll test Thursday which would be 9dpt. So I KNOW it's very early, I just feel so totally and utterly normal. DS was a natural conception and I had the AF cramps before I tested so I'm constantly looking for them I think.

leanandgreen Sun 19-Feb-17 11:16:43

Ahhh exciting.
I felt really normal too up until the last few days I think it was, when the af cramps started.
I still feel normal now too.

Really hope that you get your bfp too but don't worry about the stress and illness affecting it. X

closephine85 Sat 25-Feb-17 06:07:09

Thought I'd update this thread in case anyone googles the same in the future. Unfortunately it was a BFN for me. I have no idea whether everything that happened last week affected things but I can't help but feel like might have. I was having lots of promising cramps which disappeared as soon as my sickness bug took hold (at prime implantation time) and never returned. Just thought I'd put it here as it's annoying when you don't know the outcome of a thread.

leanandgreen Sat 25-Feb-17 07:02:18

So sorry to hear that Close.

Newmother8668 Sat 25-Feb-17 09:19:30

Hey Close, I just wanted to tell you not to blame yourself. I gave up TTC after IVF and my BFP came when I was hungover and had three days of explosive food poisoning. The body will do what it wants, so don't be so hard on yourself. Big hugs to you. I know how agonising and tough this path is xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: