Talk

Advanced search

IVF?

(6 Posts)
Avocadosmoothie Thu 16-Feb-17 19:47:24

Assuming it was confirmed you and your partner have no fertility issues, how long would you wait until pursuing IVF? Also assuming both partners are aged 30.

glasshalfsomething Thu 16-Feb-17 21:14:34

I'd get started in the process ASAP. Some NHS areas have waiting lists and there's often non-fertility issue to sort before treatment too. No harm in delaying when you're further down the line.

geeup Tue 28-Feb-17 18:17:04

I'm 34 OH is 33. We started tests after 6 months ttc as we just had a feeling we'd be unlucky. Found out he had mild MFI. Kept going with tests on both sides, mainly me, including lap and dye incase it was something else. Only just staring IVF now another 18 months on (via NHS). It can take a long time to get through all the tests, get funding etc.
That said, 2 years ttc and we both still feel quite sad and weird about having to do IVF. It takes a long time to get your head round in my opinion.

einalem1984 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:31:52

I wouldn't wait any longer than a year before getting help in finding out why you haven't been able to conceive yet. Good luck x

ScarlettFreestone Wed 01-Mar-17 22:32:59

Don't wait more than a year.

meadowlark3 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:43:59

Yes, if you are under 35, you are technically infertile/subfertile at 12 months of TTC. Most GPs should be able to order basic blood tests at 6 months of trying for under 35s. If you are 35 or over, you should certainly get testing at six months.

Agree with gee above that it's hard to get your head round having to do IVF. We are both turning 35 as we come to 12 months TTC (one miscarriage, no other pregnancies) and it is a shock to be recommended for IVF. All of that said, the decision of when to start is very personal. Our consultant told us we could wait longer and keep trying on our own. But depending on the reason for referral to IVF you might want to start sooner or later. You mentioned that your testing was fine, so perhaps you are an "unexplained" so you might have a better chance to conceive on your own. But statistically about 80-90% of couples will be pregnant by 12 months TTC and 90-95% by 24 months. If it's longer than that, the odds of conceiving on your own are very low.

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now