Talk

Advanced search

HyCoSy instead of Lap and Dye?

(5 Posts)
SummerHopin Sun 12-Feb-17 07:47:03

Hi there.

I have PCOS and have been on Metformin for a few months now with still no cycles.

Clinic are offering a HyCoSy scan as the next step before Clomid to ensure no further anatomical issues. It is a less invasive procedure but can identify the same problems.

Seems like a no brainer to me but wondered if anyone had any experiences or comments they could share please?

Thanks

bananafish81 Sun 12-Feb-17 12:25:13

HyCoSy can identify tubal issues and may hint at uterine issues

It won't look directly at the uterine environment as a hysteroscopy (part of a laparoscopy) will

Only a lap can diagnose conditions such as endometriosis

A lap is the gold standard - a HyCoSy is a first step but isn't a replacement for either a hysteroscopy or laparoscopy

SummerHopin Mon 13-Feb-17 10:14:18

Thanks banana. Think I need to go back and ask more questions as don't want to have it for nothing if I'm only going to need a lap afterwards.
Thanks

SilverLinings2014 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:53:26

Summer, the one benefit of HyCoSy is that you won't need a general anaesthetic and it can be done in a half hour appointment.

About 20% of women won't tolerate it though (me included, was horrifically painful). You might still need a lap & dye as well/ instead but even that might not give you answers. I ended up needing an MRI after failed lap & dye due to a rare uterine abnormality. When I queried why they choose surgery first over an MRI the consultant said 'it's cheaper to bring you in for day surgery than give you an MRI' hmm

CanISayOfHerFace Mon 13-Feb-17 12:03:56

I had both, the HyCoSy was clear but then as a PP said, you could have other issues which would only show as part of a laparoscopy so I had that too. In hindsight the HyCoSy was a waste of time and stress but it was offered to me on the NHS before a laparoscopy was discussed.

I could only have the lap on the NHS if I had it before IUI/IVF commenced so I did it to ensure I'd eliminated as many issues as possible, giving IUI/IVF the best chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now