Talk

Advanced search

Newbie questions

(4 Posts)
Imamouseduh Mon 30-Jan-17 13:55:23

I have received notification from my clinic about the protocol they recommend for my first IVF/ICSI. The letter says to make an appointment as soon as I want to proceed with my cycle.

Can anyone shed any light on what will happen at the nurse consultation appointment? Do you agree when to begin treatment together or do they just schedule you in when they can? For various reasons I want to aim for May but not sure if this is totally unrealistic. Once they decide your protocol is there more testing before you start on the drugs? Or do you just crack on? I also want to get a scratch first, will that delay the beginning of treatment or does it all happen at the same time?

So many questions! So overwhelmed!

Blueroses99 Mon 30-Jan-17 22:26:16

Hello Mouse. All clinics seem to vary their approach so I can share with you what I've been through but your clinic might do things differently!

My experience is that NHS fit me in around their schedule (and put me on the pill to manipulate my cycle) whereas privately they fit me in when I wanted to based on my natural cycle (I wanted to defer by a month).

I didn't need any extra tests before I could start, but it's possible that you might. On my most recent cycle, I did need an extra scan but they fit me in quite quickly so that didn't delay me starting.

I had an endometrial scratch while I was down regulating on a long protocol so it didn't delay starting either.

May sounds reasonable. I think you need to make your appointment and ask all the questions that you have. Good luck xx

Imamouseduh Tue 31-Jan-17 21:13:57

Thanks Blue.

HelloMist Wed 01-Feb-17 20:49:59

Our clinic requires virology blood tests (which can do through GP if on NHS, maybe worth asking even if private).

I agree with Blueroses. My clinic did put me on the pill privately too (they said it helped to predict dates/make sure I was regular but I think it helps with their schedules too). If you're on the pill that would usually be for 3 weeks before starting any further drugs. (long protocol).

The nurse will probably talk you through the drugs in the protocol and give you lots of consent forms to read and sign! There will be scans to see how you're responding once on the drugs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now