Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody had a very painful/unsuccessful HSG

(7 Posts)
FuckMeThundersnow Sat 14-Jan-17 20:38:45

We started down the infertility path some time ago, and last week I had an HSG. Well,I had an appointment where I was meant to have one.

They couldn't get the catheter through my cervix. I was crying with the pain, and I have a very high pain threshold (suspected endo). About three nurses had a go, they called in some consultant from the other end of the hospital, she had a go too, but nothing worked. Quite frankly it was a shitshow, and they seemed fairly anxious to hustle me out of there, I imagine due to the fact they essentially stabbed me in the cervix with a catheter for nearly an hour

The consultant made mention of a "blockage" which was stopping them getting through, but nothing has been said about this since. I was fairly upset, in pain and just wanted to go home so I didn't pursue it at the time

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 14-Jan-17 21:43:52

Yes I have. My cervix had closed. Clinic abroad found this out when did a mock transfer (something uk clinic never did) possibly why I found ec in in so bloody painful. Df could hear me screaming and crying in pain next door sad

So had cervical dilation before having cycle 3

3failed (nothing to do with cervix) and then had era (mock cycle to check lining) and couldn't get tissue so had to have another coeval dilation

Hope this helps

Tootsiepops Sat 14-Jan-17 21:52:39

You might just have a tilted cervix or a small cervix rather than a blockage?

I had ivf and at embryo transfer (usually a 15 min job if that), I was on the table for an hour and a half with about five very experienced doctors looking up my foof. I was biting my arm to stop me crying out in pain...I think I had the marks for about a week.

I've also had an HSG too but, I was given a muscle relaxant injection before hand. Were you offered anything? It made my body feel as though it had no bones in it, which was rather odd, but the hsg went well!

Have you had a scan of your uterus? Surely that would have shown any blockages? Are your periods ok?

FuckMeThundersnow Sat 14-Jan-17 22:00:57

I've had a scan, yes, the normal kind and the dildocam. Nothing unusual. Would a tilted uterus /blockage have shown up on one?

That's interesting about the closed cervix. Would that stop sperm getting in then?

I have horrendously heavy periods which I take medication for. Huge clots which my body actually has to push out

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 15-Jan-17 00:17:24

They said shouldn't make a diff to sperm getting in as blood got out ie my period each month

Only needs to be a tiny gap

But always wondered if made a diff.........

Smears were never nice -uncomfortable but not painful iyswim

You need to talk to surgeon /doc and ask what happened

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 15-Jan-17 00:20:05

So when had hsg the first time doc couldn't get it up me

So I had a general and they dilated cervix at same time

BlueHumbug Sun 15-Jan-17 22:50:28

Mine is tilted and it was v painful (worse even than smears) & I'd prepared by taking 2 ibuprofins and 2 paracetamols.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now