Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Metformin for PCOS?

(7 Posts)
Mol5 Thu 12-Jan-17 11:20:00

Hi all,

After TTC for 12 months our recent tests have discovered that I have PCOS. I have never had any of the typical symptoms, always had regular periods and I wouldn't consider myself overweight, but after TTC for some time without ever having a positive home ovulation test I thought something might be wrong and the Dr discovered PCOS after several internal scans and blood tests.

I have now been prescribed Metformin to help with fertility. Some initial discomfort with the side effects but nothing too bad.

Has anyone used Metformin to help with ovulation with PCOS and, if so, what have been your experiences and results?

Thanks! smile
Molly x

Naty1 Thu 12-Jan-17 20:31:21

I used during ivf.
You can get slow release so it gives less stomach problems

Dailymaildailyfail Thu 12-Jan-17 20:35:39

I take it for PCOS- originally had super irregular periods (cycles of 80+ days) and after taking 2000mg a day my periods became much more regular and symptoms seemed to have eased. I've not tried OPK kits yet but am planning to soon. My advice would be eat before taking- don't do it on empty stomach as you will feel rotten! Good luck

Whenwillwe3meetagain Thu 12-Jan-17 20:42:52

Yes I have used it for both pregnancies (I'm v early days with second pregnancy)
Also have a look at myo inositol as is recommended for PCOS sufferers. I used ovusense monitor this time which so helped understand my cycle and told me when I was about to ovulate and also that I was pregnant as my temps have stayed up.
Good luck.

SummerHopin Fri 13-Jan-17 16:36:37

Hi Molly, I'm in same boat as you - ttc for just about a year and found after a few months that I had PCOS.

Im on 500 x 3 per day and I'm finding that it can make me really queasy some days and totally fine the next. Been on it for about 4-5 weeks full dose now but not really seen much in the way of changes to my cycles. Going to give it another couple of months then add clomid to the mix.

Do any of those ladies who have used it before know what sort of changes I should be expecting and when?

Good luck Molly! x

Mol5 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:37:41

Thanks for your advice ladies!
I'm only on 500mg X1 daily for 6 weeks then review, which I feel now is a really low dose?
My symptoms only last the first few days and not noticeable anymore.

I too wondered if and when I should notice any changes during my cycle to suggest any ovulation progress confused

I gave up doing OPKs as I was getting negatives every month. So I'm starting them again this month to see if that's at least a sign of some change! Xx

Meredith501 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:05:30

I was on metformin during ivf. It can cause stomach problems for some people so my clinic started me on 300mg a day and gradually built up to 1800mg so your clinic may be doing similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now