Talk

Advanced search

When to move to IVF

(5 Posts)
Thomasina76 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:03:39

DH and I have been TTC for 14 months. DH is 46 and I am 40, 41 in July. All tests clear, DH has excellent swimmers and we have 2 kids each from previous marriages. But not even a sniff of a pregnancy. We have had 3 natural IUIs and 2 medicated IUIs, all of which failed. Neither of us understand it as we both conceived our other children pretty much immediately. We really really want to have a baby together so the question is whether we keep trying either naturally or do another IUI or move to IVF. My AMH and antral follicle count are as expected for my age so my consultant say not to wait much longer than 3-6 months if we do want to do IVF. I really really don't want to do IVF as I hate the idea of taking drugs but this may be the only way to have a baby and our chances are droppping the longer we need it. Any advice/views on when to move to IVF would be very welcome.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 12-Jan-17 08:09:22

Yes I would move to ivf and icsi and personally look abroad as much cheaper

Age isn't on your side as wasn't on mine. Started ivf at 39 and 40 and both uk Ines failed

Looked abroad and saved and went to madrid. Was then 41.5 and stronger drugs and icsi have better results. Sadly 3rd failed but had 6 frozen

Did 4 a fet which failed and amazingly no 5 fet worked and was 42 (just) and 29w preg and 43

Thomasina76 Thu 12-Jan-17 10:39:11

Thanks Blondes. Think we have spoken on other threads. We are up against it timewise but I am really reluctant to do IVF which involves taking lots of fertility drugs. Did you ever consider mild stimulation? I actually looked at IVI in Madrid the other day and does seem cheaper but not sure I have the stomach for the travel and related hassle. Would ideally like to stick to my current clinic but they don't do mild stimulation, saying they would always give me lowest dose of meds anyway. Going to try and work on my dr.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 12-Jan-17 11:20:49

U.K. CLInic for us said no to mild for my age and suggested long protocal, tho got less eggs each time and only got to day 3

I can understand the reluctance of flying but I love it so that aspect didn't bother me

Yes ivf would be injections twice daily tho least you know you would have a fertilised embryos transferred (hopefully if all goes well)

Where iui is placing sperm when you are fertile and hoping they make it together

Least that's if Ive got iui right

Yes ivf is stressful and can fail leaving you feel shit after spending thousands sad

Guess only you can decide if you want to try ivf and a chance to have a child together or stick to ttc naturally or iui

For us even tho df had kids in 20's we knew this would be my only way to get preg so carried on

What are you amh and fsh scores. If the consultant said don't leave it like her then 6mths I would listen to him - a lot can change in 3:6mths once over 40

Thomasina76 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:50:22

My clinic said the success rates with mild were so low they didn't offer it. Dr also recommended long protocol for me - sounds horrible and really worried about incrreased risk of ovarian cancer which is the main reason I am reluctant to do it. We could keep trying naturally but it may not happen. So annoying as think we're both hopeful as we managed to have kids with other partners but we were younger then and things have changed. My AMH is 8.1, FSH 6.4 (I think) and AFC 15.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now