Advanced search

Can my partner be referred to a Urologist?

(3 Posts)
Pearlmum1 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:05:59

We are not entitled to NHS help with our fertility treatment ad I already have a daughter. My partner has severe low sperm count (1 to 3 million and low morphology/motility). We think it may be because he was very premature and has had a hernia operation when he was a child.
I accept we are not entitled to ICSI etc but will they not investigate a blockage or anything else that could hopefully be improved? If my partner goes to our GP will they be able to refer him to a urologist? We are starting to save for ICSI abroad but I just wanted to see if it was worth trying the gp first? We've been trying for 4 years and im having a panicky day!

closephine85 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:50:31

Hi pearlmum, I would have thought your DH should at least be able to get a referral for an ultrasound, especially given his history. My DH has a very low count and was given an ultrasound - nothing was found so we paid privately to go and see Dr Ramsay a urologist and male fertility specialist based at the London Clinic. Unfortunately we have now reached a brick wall and can try nothing more to improve his count (very similar to your DH's) and will be going for IVF abroad but I'm glad we explored other options first.

Pearlmum1 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:09:52

Thank you closephine! I will send him to the doctors to ask. Good luck with your IVF. Another question that I can't find the answer to is..are there any odds on getting pregnant with low sperm count. For example..with under 5 million you have a 1 in 100 chance per month etc. That would help my brain massively!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now