Talk

Advanced search

Nhs or private?

(19 Posts)
Flowerpot30 Fri 06-Jan-17 10:44:00

I have been trying to conceive for th pasts two years and was diagnosed with PCOS three years ago.

To say that my GP has been useless with advice is an understatement!

I am considering just going private straight away rather then even bothering with the NHS route for fertility treatment mainly because my GP hasn't given me any information and I have no idea what way to turn.

I have contacted a private clinic in London who have said they would do a AMH blood test and a follicle count as well as a consultation as a first step.

Does anyone know if the NHS will do these tests if I ask my GP for them?

user1483705178 Fri 06-Jan-17 12:35:45

I can't help with personal experiences, just wanted to wish you good luck with yr treatment x

Blueroses99 Fri 06-Jan-17 13:15:57

I got my AMH and FSH levels through bloods on the NHS following referral by my GP. The other useful tests are day 3 and day 21 blood tests, to see how your hormones vary through your cycle, HIV & STD tests, and a sperm analysis. These will help with costs as any clinic can use them without repeating. If you are eligible for NHS help though, you shouldn't need to go private first time. Can you see a different GP or ask for advice at your local assisted conception unit first?

Blueroses99 Fri 06-Jan-17 13:17:01

I don't recall having an NHS follicle count so I'm not sure if that one is offered as standard.

SammyL100 Fri 06-Jan-17 13:52:14

Blue Roses may I ask what a normal FSH level is?

TheLongRains Fri 06-Jan-17 13:58:32

Definitely ask your (or rather, another) GP first. After I got past the GP level, I found the NHS infertility system good. My GP was actually superb, so I didn't need to pester, but they can definitely order all the relevant tests initially.

After the results were back, I was then sent for scans and to see a consultant, who was able to explain the results more thoroughly than the GP.

So if you can, get the GP to at least order the basic tests and refer you on. I hope they'll do that for you easily enough.

If not, I'd be like you and thinking of going private to save myself the stress of having to beg and nag the NHS. Good luck though!

TheLongRains Fri 06-Jan-17 14:01:54

Oh, but yes, as blueroses says, I also didn't get a follicle count on the NHS, though that may come later down the line if they thought it necessary (we were found to be MFI pretty early on, so I didn't need much more than the initial tests and scans).

Try to get to an NHS consultant to get better info smile hopefully your GP can refer you on soon.

Blueroses99 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:08:28

SammyL not sure what normal is but I would guess less than 10 as I believe that not all clinics treat women with high FSH - over 10 or 12 - though other clinics might have higher thresholds and will treat them. Not an expert in this at all though.

Flowerpot30 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:13:16

Thank you all so much for your replies. It has made me feel newly motivated to go back to the GP more confident with what tests I need to ask for and which ones I know the NHS will provide.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Jan-17 18:29:22

Get any tests you can off gp. Will save you £400/600+

Level usually under 9 are good.

If you can afford private and costs £6/7k then go for it but it is a lot of money so if eligible for NHS maybe use then first

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 06-Jan-17 18:30:08

Hope this helps

Notabadger Fri 06-Jan-17 22:00:22

I was in a similar position and went with NHS and glad I did. Had a set of different tests over the course of many (many!) months before being prescribed Clomid. Friend of a friend in same position went private and apparently got a Clomid prescription based on one blood test. I felt NHS had been more thorough and had ruled out other fertility problems before giving treatment which was better, although felt frustrating at the time!
My GP referred me for day 3&21 blood test locally and then referred me to fertility clinic at the hospital where other tests happened.

The whole thing also made me change my rubbish GP and now have a lovely one.

fabulous01 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:04:49

Definitely do as much as you can on nhs
If considering private treatment go on site like fertility friends. It is fab for information sharing and consider abroad
Best decision I made

Grittzio Fri 06-Jan-17 22:25:54

Go to your GP and insist upon a private initial consultation with infertility consultant to get the ball rolling, not sure how much, think ours was about £150 but this is a few years back. My consultant did both private IVF & NHS and I was able to swap between the 2, I had tests done on NHS and various treatment, clomid, IUI then we were put on NHS 18mths IVF waiting list, whilst waiting we had a private IVF, 1st go if doesn't work(ours didn't)is able to make sure your 2nd go has all the right dosage of drug levels, they had to double my dosage given on 1st go, 2nd go worked. Good luck x

broodypsycho Sat 07-Jan-17 23:33:30

I did both. The GPs do drag their heels with the blood tests and referral to the hospital, while I was waiting for the appointment (4 month), I had some tests done privately..ultrasound, hycosy for my tubes and he gave me clomid.
Once I got my first hospital appointment, I had told the gynaecologist of the tests, she immediately put me on the IVF waiting list and she didn't see the point in repeating them! So now were waiting for our free ivf.
Things do go quickly once your referred, but if u can save time by having tests privately.

Monkeypuzzle32 Sun 08-Jan-17 12:49:23

Do both-the NHS take forever with everything, Ive been there-they don't take infertility seriously IMO, looking back I'd have got what tests I could from the NHS and done IVF privately as I had to pay anyway. Private clinics obviously want your money but they are quick and its their business so they have an interest whereas I really don't think the NHS care.

Flowerpot30 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:13:18

Thank you lol so much for your replies. I am currently sat waiting to see the GP to request the tests with new found confidence to insist on them rather then getting fobbed off. I have wanted a baby for so long and hopefully this is the beginning of becoming a Mum! X

TheLongRains Mon 09-Jan-17 11:13:13

Good luck!! Be strong! Hope you manage to get them ordered smile

broodypsycho Mon 09-Jan-17 11:25:36

I agree with monkey that you should do both. Private is much quicker but expensive, definitely get your tests/investigations done privately while your on the referral for NHS.
I can't fault the NHS at the hospital, they have been more thorough and efficient than private

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now