Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me about IVF abroad

(9 Posts)
Antonia79 Sat 24-Dec-16 15:24:42

Hi all,

I started infertility investigations Dec 2014. Cause was tubal (everything was stuck together, possibly from a very old infection) and ended up having one tube removed and the other saved in September 2015. I had my first IVF (6 mature eggs, 3 fertilised, 1 transferred. Other 2 collapsed so couldn't banked) with the NHS in April this and it failed. Final consultation with the consultant stated that it is possible that we can get pregnant naturally. We've been trying naturally every month since then. It's now Christmas Eve and af has just arrived and I feel utterly defeated.

I would like to know about IVF abroad, we don't have enough savings for UK IVF and I've heard some good things about doing it abroad. Your experiences, any advice or insights will be really appreciated.

Thanks all,

Antonia

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 25-Dec-16 17:50:05

There are various places always mentioned on here

Serum in Athens
Reprofit in chez republic
Ivf Barcelona
Ivi MADRID

Sure one or two more but have brain freeze

Def cheaper abroad and personally my exp is that abroad is technology and freezing much more advanced (then my clinic in U.K.)

Research. Go and see them for a chat/Skype chat
Check out costs - flights - success rate - see how relaxed /comfortable they make you feel

I used ivi madrid - chose as 2hr flights and could go here and back in a day and went to a visit and felt relaxed there and much nicer then my uk clinic

All clinics will have a English interpreter assigned to you who you can speak/email etc to at any time

First cycle there failed (3rd in all , did 2 in U.K.) but had much better results with stronger drugs as icsi and had 6 to freeze. 2nd fet worked and I'm currentlu 26w preg after 10yrs ttc

mrscee Sun 25-Dec-16 17:55:49

I used CREA in Valencia and a satellite clinic here in the U.K. For scans and other test. I had 2 cycles of donor eggs, the first fresh cycle didn't work however the 2nd frozen embryo cycle worked and I'm now sat with my 6 year old boy girl twins who are my world. We tried for 6 years and I had 2 failed cycles using my own eggs before at a clinic in the uk.

RoseBud2016 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:18:10

We went to Reprofit in the Czech Republic. There it is 1950 euros for a fresh cycle of IVF and 320 euros for a FET! They have very high standards of care and excellent results.
You can get flights for as cheap as £40 return from Stansted or Luton to Brno in Czech Republic. Reprofit is a 20 min drive from the airport and close to the centre of Brno.
Accommodation and food there are also much much cheaper than the UK.
We've worked out that for one fresh round and two FETs inc all drugs, flights, accommodation and spending money, we have spent less than one fresh cycle in the UK! And we still have 3 Frosties in storage!

The best first step is to make your way over to the Fertility Friends website. There is a Reprofit forum called the "Orange knicker gang" This is full of very knowledgable women currently cycling at Reprofit. There is also a secret social media page you can join that gives you lots more info.
Ask lots of questions, then fill in the form on the Reprofit website and start the ball rolling! You won't regret it.

Antonia79 Fri 30-Dec-16 16:15:20

Thank you all very much for spending the time to reply to my post, it is very much appreciated and gives me a bit of hope that it can still happen for us too! We've been trying for nearing on to eight years now (I'm 37). For those of you lovely ladies who have had children through this process, thank you. Thanks for giving me a bit of hope, it's the spark I need to start enquiring, researching and hoping again smileflowers

Have a Happy New Year all, crossing my fingers and hoping this year will bring good news!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 30-Dec-16 18:45:05

Contact the 4 mentioned and ask for info pack

Get the ball rolling

Yes scary thinking about ivf abroad but all the clinics seem to take care and looks after their patients. Plus cheaper

Julphen37 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:14:41

Myself and my wife are also looking into clinics abroad because we've just had it with the UK ones. My biggest worry is that you are even more vulnerable than when in the UK. At least in the UK they have some system (although I'm sure its not accurate) of success rates, Europe doesn't seem to have any. How do you choose, I used to think that forums are the best indication but a recent article I read suggests that the clinics abroad pay people to promote their clinics on chat rooms. So unless you actually know someone who has been who can you trust!!!! I suppose there are meet up groups, which may be the best idea.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 08-Jan-17 20:24:33

I think it's who you feel happy with and if possible personal recommendations

Kwym about uk clinics. We lost out faith in uk hence looked abroad

Df and I would def rec ivi MADRID. Look at their website. Get an info pack and then fly over for a chat face to face. Or so Skype

Snowdog37 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:30:42

My dh and I just met with a Dr at Gest/Praga Medica in Prague. They have a great success rate, excellent embryologists and a really lovely English speaking assistant who literally has been the best help, with paperwork and questions and general advice/support. After a thorough 2 hour first appointment (with SA for hubby and gyne exam for me and blood tests for us both) we talked through options and will be doing egg donor ivf there in June. The cost is good (incredible compared to the USA where we live!) and flights etc easy. It's exciting and nerve wracking but I think we made a good choice.
Good luck, it's a bit stressful to start with but the relief of having a plan is immense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now