Talk

Advanced search

Single, donor sperm and home insemination

(1 Post)
sjmackel Sun 18-Dec-16 21:23:36

Hello there,

I am 38, single, self employed and generally happy with life. I have decided that I cannot continue to wait around to meet the right man to have a child with and thus have visited a private fertility clinic to get some advice and see what my options are.

I was shocked at the low percentages (5-10%) for IUI, which is basically inserting donor sperm at the right time. The doctor explained that IVF would give me more of a 30 to 40% chance of conceiving. I have agreed to, as a first step, have my tubes checked out, because if they are not good then really IVF is my only chance. However IVF for just one round is so expensive. They even quoted me around £2500 for just one round of IUI.

Tonight I was wondering if anyone had gone down the route of using donor sperm via home insemination and where they would recommend or if they have any tips on the subject. It seems like a much more cost effective and less pressured method....but are there any UK laws that I should be aware of?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used donor sperm as a single lady, either via a clinic or not.

Thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now