Talk

Advanced search

Guy's and Tommy's Infertility Services?

(4 Posts)
meadowlark3 Sat 10-Dec-16 17:29:16

Hi ladies,

DH and I have been referred by our GP to GST for infertility testing. I am 35 this month and TTC for 12 months, with one early miscarriage to show for it. Does anyone have any information on what will happen there, how long things will take? And any other general feedback on experiences there? GP asked if there was anywhere we had in mind, and I didn't know what to say, so it sounds like Tommy's is the default?

I had 21 day bloods with the GP that were normal. DH had an SA that was a bit below average but GP said not to worry.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Meadow x

isthismummy Thu 15-Dec-16 17:54:10

We have our initial appointment for IVF at Guys' at the end of January.

We had first appointment in October, after being referred by GP two months previously.

I had scans, bloods, more bloods and DP did SA.

The consultant was OK. Not the best bed side manner and I found myself chasing the unit for test results on more than one occasion. I was also given the horrible news of low amh plus male factor via phone. Very hard to deal with.

Having said that the consultant did put us forward for IVF and we haven't even been trying a year. So I'm very grateful for that. The funding also came through within four weeks!

I would advise educating yourself as much as possible and don't be afraid to ask questions and be pushy. It can be a very impersonal experience as NHS is so overstretched.

Best of luck to to you😊

meadowlark3 Thu 15-Dec-16 21:03:40

Thanks very much for your reply. That sounds fast for what I've heard. Sorry to hear about the poor bedside manner and telephone delivery of results.

Might I also ask did you choose IVF or was that what was recommended? Do you know how many cycles you will have? How does the funding work? I didn't know you would need to wait for additional funding...? I am hoping IUI might be an option for us as as well, I think.

I hope your appointment goes well! Please report back on your experiences when you have a chance smile

isthismummy Thu 15-Dec-16 23:56:23

It's been incredibly fast. That is definitely one aspect that I can't fault them on! It's been a total whirlwind head wreck tbh.

We were recommended IVF due to my low amh and DP's low motility. I'm also nearly 38 so no time to waste basically. We've still been told it probably won't work though. There's a definite sense that the consultants try to keep your expectations low.

The policy for Guy's is one cycle only, but (I think) up to two FET if you have viable embryos. It was DP's motility issue along with having no children that made us eligible. You also need to be a none smoker and BMI of 19-30 for female partner.

We were told funding takes 6-8 weeks, but ours was even faster.

You're history is very different to mine, so I imagine your treatment plan may be somewhat different. I would guess they will look into the cases of your miscarriages firstly, as hopefully that could be something they can put right. Again I would stress that you educate yourself as much as possible on all aspects of fertility. The consultants really do only give you basic information and are very by the book about things.

Best of luck though and I will definitely report back on how I get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now