Talk

Advanced search

Male infertility - childhood orchidopexy

(11 Posts)
VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 01-Dec-16 09:28:33

My DP and I have been Ttc for 16 months now with no joy. I'm 35, he's 36. I was diagnosed with PCOS about ten years ago, but since my coil was removed (16 months ago!) my periods have been like clockwork for the first time in my life.

I'm ovulating, and all blood tests done are normal (I've no idea what most of them were). I have a high BMI which I'm working on, but am mostly healthy bar migraine (lifelong) and a shoulder injury.

My DP had undescended testicles as a very premature baby. Back in the early 80's - as far as I can make out - the clinical guidance seems to have been not to operate until age 2-3. He had one surgery aged 2.5, another aged 7 and a re-do on one testicle aged about 9. We don't know the full details, and would like to get them.

My GP's face dropped when we told her this, and it was made clear that this could be catastrophic for his fertility.

2 semen samples later, and several months of massive lifestyle changes for him (gave up smoking, no booze - both were being done to excess), the best result is:
Nil A (motile sperm)
16% (non progressive)
15% C (immotile)
69% D (immotile)
3.8 10^6/ml
Abnormal liquefaction
Abnormal agglutination

If I'm honest, we don't fully understand what all this means. The GP has referred us both to the local fertility clinic.

Has anyone else experienced male infertility following orchidopexy surgery?

Anyone who can translate the figures if I put up the full results?

Any advice on how to access his hospital records about his operations?

Zippybear Thu 01-Dec-16 10:21:04

I don't have the answers but you may find more people in a similar situation in the male factor infertility section on the fertility friends forum flowers

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 01-Dec-16 10:28:07

That's useful Zippy, thank you. I've not heard if that forum, I'll have a look.

Blueroses99 Thu 01-Dec-16 10:45:12

Also have male factor but there was some motile sperm but not much so I don't know how yours compares. Regarding getting copies of notes, I would start with his GP and if he know which hospital he had his surgery, also contacting them.

Have you tried supplements such as Proxeed? Things like co-q10, l-argentine etc can improve sperm quality and while the clinical evidence isn't conclusive and I have no idea if it would have any impact on your DP, it helped my DH's SA results when we did IMSI. Good luck

Zippybear Thu 01-Dec-16 11:28:26

No worries and good luck!

Tryingno1 Thu 01-Dec-16 13:20:03

Hi Vivienne
My dh had the same but operated as a teenager! He had an overal count of less than a few hundred over many tests and with the odd motile sperm usually one! This went up and down over the year

At the IVF centre I would get some sperm frozen in the slight chance he does drop his count more . Fresh is always better but if there is no fresh they can work with frozen. I sent poor dh to the clinic so many times!

I'm not sure wot it means if there are no motile sperm.. but As long as there is sperm they can do some magic! and infact some men have NO sperm and a surgical procedure to extract some directly from the testes is done (not always sucesssful) . I was pretty stressed when I found out about dh but I try be thankful he has sperm!

We saw mr Ramsey in London who did some bloods and gave him tamoxifen to try increase the count. It didn't work but it kept it steady so we had enough for isci. Not sure if the tamoxifen played a part in that or it was always going to stay that way. Worth seeing him as for some men the count can improve on this!

We also did so the usual stuff but none of it helped to improve the count. It is what it is!
But he took after much reserch
Vit c
Vit e
Coenzyme q 10
Zinc
Folate
Selenium
Wellman conception
Omega 3
From the top of my head!

Good luck xxx

Tryingno1 Thu 01-Dec-16 13:27:09

Ps sounds like u have a few million sperm there which is great.
fertility friends have a whole section on men with low counts mainly due to this reason they will provide you with lots of info! A lot of their dh have no sperm but they r still very knowledgable and helpful!

margasid Mon 05-Dec-16 18:03:49

Zippybear have you got link to that forum by any chance?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 05-Dec-16 18:45:16

I tried to join the Fertility Friends forum, but despite filling in the form and then chasing it up, they've not been in touch to approve or refuse me joining. Hoping they are just busy and will get to me soon.

Zippybear Mon 05-Dec-16 19:47:06

Hmmm it was many moons ago that I joined fertility friends but I don't remember it being any more complicated than making a profile. Have you got the right site? its www.fertilityfriends.co.uk
Think there are a few similarily named sites.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 26-Dec-16 16:50:41

Greetings all, just realised I didn't thank everyone for their input.

We are seeing the fertility clinic on Thursday - 2 weeks for a referral (which has left me open mouthed - expected months of waiting).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now