Talk

Advanced search

4th IVF but do I try immune with own eggs or donor?

(10 Posts)
littlebeek Sun 20-Nov-16 11:31:06

I'm in a real quandary.

I've had 3 failed IVF attempts and just had my immune results back which shows I have high killer cells, antibody issues & clotting/sticky blood.
So basically my IVF wouldn't have worked anyway without immune drugs.

Also I only collected 1 then 3 eggs on my last 2 cycles.

Now I have to make the decision if I try one last IVF attempt with immune drugs or just go straight to donor eggs.

Initially I thought donor would give me the best chance but then I might regret not trying my own eggs with the extra support.

I'm 40 by the way. Please help me make my mind up..

littlebeek Mon 21-Nov-16 16:46:31

Anyone?

Chattycat78 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:11:02

If it was me, now that you have the extra information and can correct it, I would be tempted to try again with own Eggs. It may be that this is what has prevented it working the last few times. You might regret it otherwise. However- easy for me to say, and I don't know what your finances are.

What do your clinic say? Can u get an opinion on the likelihood of that being the reason it's not worked before ?

EstelleRoberts Mon 21-Nov-16 17:13:53

I would be tempted to try with my own eggs, depending on AMH, antral follicle count etc. If these are very low, maybe it's worth going straight to donor. Otherwise, it sounds like immunes have been the problem, and correcting that could do the trick. Can the clinic tweak your protocol, to hopefully get more eggs next time?

littlebeek Mon 21-Nov-16 17:30:31

Thanks for the replies ladies.

They changed my protocol from long to short for the last cycle and I got 3 eggs whereas on the long protocol I only got 1 egg.

I am tempted to try my own eggs again as this is ideally what I want, it's just soul destroying to get such poor response when stimming..

EstelleRoberts Mon 21-Nov-16 17:39:19

You poor thing. I had my DD by Iui, so went through nowhere near as much as you have, but it was stressful and upsetting enough. Have you had a debrief since the last round? Can they tweak it further?

Chattycat78 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:40:42

Well true- but that doesn't mean it won't work. I got 2 eggs on my first ivf attempt. I embryo, 1 bfp, 1 live birth. Quality is more important than quantity.

littlebeek Mon 21-Nov-16 17:58:32

I was already on the maximum stimms but at least I'd have the immune drugs so even though I probably wouldn't get anymore than 3 eggs (if that) at least they might have a chance of implanting.

Chatty that's encouraging! Praying it will be my time soon.

EstelleRoberts Mon 21-Nov-16 18:45:40

Chatty is right, it only takes one good egg. We got our bfp with iui with only 1 million sperm, which (though it sounds like loads to the uninitiated), we had been told was way lower than the clinic liked.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 23-Nov-16 08:26:34

What are you fsh and amh

Yes you can get preg with own eggs - I did at 43 but took 5 private attempts and some serious drugs let alone money

Using a donor who will be younger will give you a better chance and hopefully a few to freeze and then have fet. Far kinder to your body as no daily injections

I know several mums who used de and they couldn't have loved or bonded with their babies more

So don't think as not your egg it's not your baby iyswim

Only you can decide but talk to clinic. Ask them for their honest opinion with your age eggs and results

Look at their success rates for your age and de

clinic stats here

Find your clinic and scroll down to bottom and add age etc into boxes and search

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now