Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else quite this weird?

(24 Posts)
BiggerBoatNeeded Wed 16-Nov-16 16:42:15

Does anyone have a sick fascination with the 'Is this a line' type threads in Conception and Pregnancy?? I'm basically an expert pg test line spotter now, which is ironic really given lack of lines is my issue. Please tell me I'm not alone - even one other person doing this will make me feel less of a loon blush

Chemistria Wed 16-Nov-16 16:44:55

i like them too!

BiggerBoatNeeded Wed 16-Nov-16 16:59:03

Hurrah, I'm not alone! Chemistria, we should start a club wink

Blueroses99 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:13:34

It's never occurred to me to look over there, am I missing out...?!

BiggerBoatNeeded Wed 16-Nov-16 19:01:08

Probably not, they're mainly populated by the very lucky and the incredibly complacent! But for some reason I feel compelled to go over there and check out the wee sticks. Madness.

Zippybear Wed 16-Nov-16 19:01:14

Ha! Good to know I'm not alone, this was my secret sick obsession for the first 2 years of infertility. I loved stalking the conception boards for a 'is this a line?' thread although I did feel like a weirdo freak at the time!! Like a hungry street urchin watching the happy family eat Christmas dinner through the icy window. Sadly now after a couple of post IVF long drawn out chemical pregnancies I've had quite enough of faint lines and my secret hobby has lost its appeal. Ah the joy of infertility

BiggerBoatNeeded Wed 16-Nov-16 19:26:25

You've hit the nail on the head there Zippy grin I'm a famished urchin! Sorry about the chemical pregnancies. I've had a couple too and yet there I still am, squinting at sticks other, luckier, people have pissed on. Massive grip needed.

closephine85 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:28:27

Yep I do this too from time to time. It's like morbid fascination. The 'we weren't really trying but...' or the 'I'm still breastfeeding my 1 day old so didn't think was possible but...' ones that really grate! Although am ashamed to admit I did post one myself a few months back. It was a line but somehow I managed to find the only brand of tests in the world that give false positives. Obviously.

BiggerBoatNeeded Wed 16-Nov-16 19:31:42

Was it a Lloyds chemist one Closephine? I had the only non-IVF line I've ever had on one of those bastards. Was devastated when I read the reviews saying they were notorious for false positive.

closephine85 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:43:40

Yes it was. Hideous sad I was pretty disbelieving when I saw the line and then fairly quickly went online and was crushed when I saw the reviews but still wanted to believe it (obviously).

BiggerBoatNeeded Wed 16-Nov-16 20:08:08

In which case there is clearly something wrong with those tests angry Sorry you had to go through that too.

Zippybear Wed 16-Nov-16 20:30:23

Sorry about the false positives, as if infertility isn't cruel enough! I suspect my chemicals may have actually been leftover pregnyl as my clinic used additional pregnyl shots during the tww, total headfuck at the time confused and yesyesyes closephine morbid fascination is right, it made me feel all tingly inside! I'm obviously totally bonkers.

closephine85 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:04:30

Haha Zippy well if you are we all clearly are! The ones where the line is totally obvious and dark are really annoying too. Basically just looking for the 'definitely a line, congrats OP flowers' times a thousand posts. Jeez didn't realise how bitter I was towards those posts until now!

Bigger - at the time I considered a strongly worded complaint to lloyds but then I was too emotionally fragile and crushed that I just let it go. Perhaps I should have, they need to be taken off the shelves.

mrskittenpie Wed 16-Nov-16 21:13:19

I'll join the club too, I'm glad it's not just me. I'm obsessed with looking at the lines even though most of the stories really annoy me... we only did it once, it's our second month trying and I've been going insane, etc, etc, etc - they make me want to scream sometimes from my barren world, yet I keep looking at them blush

closephine85 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:23:16

Ok so this thread promoted me to have a mooch on over and I've found a gem: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/2781232-Cute-Ways-to-Tell-DH-Im-pregnant#prettyPhoto

"We laughed and high fived each other"

closephine85 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:23:34

Prompted not promoted

BiggerBoatNeeded Wed 16-Nov-16 22:32:21

Oh god Closephine I didn't mean this to send people back to the dark side! But yeah, I spotted that thread and it made me a little ragey. I'm such a bitter barren blush

Re Lloyds tests I don't understand how one brand can consistently produce false positives if literally no others do (and I have tried a lot of tests!). It's ridiculous.

Zippybear Thu 17-Nov-16 13:50:26

Oh no that's a step too far for me, not an icy window more like looking into some other dimension. Can you even imagine! I didn't get past the first few posts to read the 'we high fived each other' Blurghhhh. Actually this reminds me of the time dh and I high fived after his SA improved. Tragic.

LostInTheTriangle Fri 18-Nov-16 08:03:36

I can't believe that thread. It really is a parallel universe. My last three "pregnancy" announcements have consisted of telling close friends and family, "well, I was 9/11/8 weeks pregnant, but I've had another miscarriage..." to explain absences at family get togethers/work/nights out.

I just cannot ever imagine feeling excited about seeing two lines on a test. Actually fell to my knees and cried last time and haven't dared ttc since we lost it.

flowers winecake to you all.

Metaphase Sat 19-Nov-16 16:02:58

Those threads are like reading about the lifestyles of billionaires, or the Queen or something. Kind of abstract, like, 'oh yeah, people do actually get pregnant after having sex'.

I've trained myself so hard not to expect a positive test out of self-preservation that I've forgotten it isn't a crazy thing to happen.

Stupid fecking infertility.

SleepFreeZone Sat 19-Nov-16 16:13:57

I remember writing a thread a couple of years back just checking that sex was still the way people conceived children? I was starting to become convinced there was a new fancy way of doing it that i'd been left out of the loop on confused

Metaphase Sat 19-Nov-16 16:23:15

If there's a loop, Sleep, I'm also definitely not in it smile

Zippybear Sat 19-Nov-16 18:52:38

Ha sleep I also missed the memo!

miraflores81 Tue 22-Nov-16 21:10:15

I do this too, confused glad I'm not alone!
I'm on cycle 14 ttc#1 I am starting to get pissed off with myself for doing it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now