Does this sound right? Advice please

(3 Posts)
MrsDarcy4092 Wed 19-Oct-16 03:38:03

Hi all,
We have been trying to Conceive since January 2014 without any pregnancies. We now know my DH has severe OATS - count was 0.1 million per ml, 0%morphology and zero motile. We thought it was Game over. Gp refereed him to a urologist locally who did basic tests and referrred on to Ramsay who trailed tamoxifen for 4 months to which we now have 0.4 million per ml and 4% motile (never felt so good hearing that)! So, Ramsay has given another 4 months And my gp has referred us to our local fertility clinic. My fertility seems ok, bloods normal and uss normal. I've reduced my bmi from a hideous 49 down to 37 while DH has been going through his tests. So, while we wait for my bmi to come down to 29 for the NHS ivf we were planning on starting our first private Icsi cycle in a few days time.

However, we had our appointment today for consent my scan and injection training. They also wanted to do another SA on DH. Well my scan was totally normal but unfortunately his sperm results have gone back to being unusable like before the tamoxifen. 0.1 mill per ml and none motile. Absolutely gutted. They have suggested retesting in 10 days after 10 days of abstinence and if still the same they will refer him for surgical extraction with only 40% chance of finding sperm. So not starting any time soon, if at all. It's starting to feel like we may never have a baby together.

Does anyone please have any advice? 10 days of abstinence seems very long compared to the normal 3-5?
Is it worth going for surgical extraction? The fertility dr today seemed more bothered about morphology / is that right? Ramsay didn't even mention it but to be honest when we last saw hi m he was more interested in his medical students than our consultation.

I'm exhausted.

MrsDarcy4092 Wed 19-Oct-16 04:55:26

i am wondering about going to a different clinic to get there opinion, Maybe one that Ramsay is linked to

Decafplease Wed 19-Oct-16 05:37:58

Hi mrsdarcy. I'm sorry, this is so hard. I have no practical advice, but just wanted to say we were in a similar situation. DH was diagnosed with azoospermia. We did SSI, it was very painful, and unsuccessful for us. Our consultant was discouraging of any further interventions. Obviously I was devastated, but after counselling, we decided to go for donor and IVF. While I'm still not pregnant, we have 2 embryos and I am waiting for a FET date. So we are closer to a baby now then we ever were in the 2 years preceding. So all I wanted to say is I know how hard it is and how it seems like every choice is painful in our situation. I wish you all the best, I hope you find your way to a baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now