Scan following IVF showed nothing but HCG rising

(4 Posts)
KLF123 Thu 08-Sep-16 10:19:56

Hello. I went for my scan on Monday following a positive test after my 2 week wait after IVF treatment. It had been 5 weeks since the blastocyst transfer. The scan showed nothing other than 2 cyst looking sacs on the screen. No gestational sac, yolk or fetal pole. They told me that it was a failing pregnancy as it hadn't developed. Devistated. They took bloods to measure HCG and that was 17,000 was told to go to early pregnancy unit 2 days later (yesterday) and they would take further bloods.

The EPU told me that there are 3 ways this can go.. If the HCG levels drop then this will be a failing pregnancy and I will later miscarry, if levels stay similar then could indicate ectopic or should they rise by approx 60% then could mean a progressing pregnancy?!? None of this was told to me Monday.
So later that day bloods came back and levels gone to 21,000... Not a significant increase to rule out ectopic but not failing at this stage. They are going to rescan me on Monday in the hope they may see something more...

Just to give some history this is my 5th pregnancy, 1st from IVF though. My others ended in 3 miscarriages and an ectopic so I know what all of those feel like and I'm not getting any of the symptoms I've had during these times.....
So my question is, has anybody had a similar experience as me where the levels have risen but nothing on screen that went onto have a normal pregnancy?
K x

SesameSparkle Sat 10-Sep-16 09:51:15

Hi KLF, if your hcg is now at 21,000 and you are 5 weeks past transfer (7wks5d?) you should have something showing on ultrasound if there was a viable pregnancy. A good sonographer should be able detect a pregnancy sac at hcg levels starting at 1000-1500. You might need to prepare yourself for the possibility of another loss. Sorry to be so blunt and sorry that's not what you asked for. I found the miscarriage boards really helpful when I was faced with mine. flowers flowers

BipBippadotta Sat 10-Sep-16 11:32:58

Could those sacs be 'pseudosacs' which could indicate an ectopic pregnancy?

Bear2014 Sun 11-Sep-16 07:02:00

My sister had this recently following IVF. It took weeks but her HCG did gradually fall and she had a bleed (more like a period than MC by the sounds of it). They're calling it an extreme chemical pregnancy but they did scan her a few times to rule out ectopic.

Sorry for your losses flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now