Talk

Advanced search

High Prolactin Levels

(7 Posts)
Rainbowdreams2 Mon 22-Aug-16 14:36:26

Hi all,
I have just had the results of my day 21 blood tests and I have been told that my prolactin levels are too high (542). They should be between 100 - 500. I was told I could not take anything for this as I am TTC.

My results are going to be sent to the fertility clinic as I am moving forward with them, but wanted to ask if anyone has had similar results and whether this could be the reason we are not conceiving? (my Doctor was non committal when I asked the question!) Also, does anyone know of any natural way to reduce prolactin levels if need be?

originalusernamefail Mon 22-Aug-16 14:41:40

Hi, my prolactin levels are high due to a benign tumor on my pituitary (can be for lots of other reasons). At the highest my levels were in the 800 range but this caused me to not ovulate / have periods and therefore get pregnant. I was referred to an endocrinologist and treated with a drug called quinagolide and got pg with both my sons within 1 month of starting treatment. I stopped the tablets while pg but took them while ttc until pregnancy confirmed. I suggest you go back to your gp and ask for a referral to an endorsement. They may monitor your levels for a while as they are not that high and can vary throughout the month.

originalusernamefail Mon 22-Aug-16 14:42:40

Sorry forgot to add. My raised prolactin levels were the sole reason I could not conceive without intervention.

Rainbowdreams2 Mon 22-Aug-16 14:50:25

Thank you for your reply original! Omg! I think I will go and see the Doctor and see if I can be monitored. I haven't had any problems with ovulation and my periods are regular so would have thought I would be able to actually get pregnant, but no such luck : (

gottachangethename1 Mon 22-Aug-16 14:53:05

I too had high prolactin levels when I was trying to conceive 20 years ago. I was given tablets (sorry don't remember the name, it was a long time ago) and got pregnant two months later. Ask for a referral to the fertility clinic. Good luck

gottachangethename1 Mon 22-Aug-16 14:54:30

Forgot to Add, I had regular periods and no sign of anything being wrong until I tried to conceive.

Rainbowdreams2 Mon 22-Aug-16 15:07:16

Thank you gotta, I have read that Vitex (Chasteberry) will help so I may give this a go while I wait to hear from the fertility clinic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now