Talk

Advanced search

Vitamins/Supplements during two week wait

(8 Posts)
GlummyMummy Sun 07-Aug-16 21:05:44

Does anyone have any guidance on what it's best to take during 2WW? Bit of a minefield of contrasting information I've read already!

Is CoQ10 safe to continue after embryo transfer?

Also been on high level Vit E and Alpha Lipoic for egg quality but not sure if these are okay now?

What's the best multivitamin to take now? Anything specific to aid implantation and embryo development?

Or am I just better not taking anything!!!

bananafish81 Sun 07-Aug-16 22:10:37

I personally stopped all the egg quality supplements after embryo transfer, as I figured the eggs were out of me. I don't know that any of them would necessarily be unsafe, but there wasn't any benefit and why take the risk...

I continued taking my preconception multivitamin (I take Zita West Vitafem, but Pregnacare is cheaper and probably just as good), fish oil,extra vitamin D and folic acid (I take prescription strength because I have epilepsy, but otherwise it's in the multivitamin)

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 07-Aug-16 22:19:05

The 4 failed cycles I took vitamins - ate fresh pineapple - Brazil nuts - 2/3 boiled eggs and chicken daily (told eat lots of protein) avoided Diet Coke and tea and sure other stuff - plus keeping feet warm and hot drinks (no ice cold ones) as meant keeping embroys warm and all failed

5th cycle I didn't do any of that and it worked

I honestly think it doesn't make any diff - or in my case it didn't - but guess you also want to do anything you possibly can to give yourself a chance

If your clinic didn't say to take anything in particular then I wouidnt bother - they did say the pineapple and nuts etc was rubbish - but I read it and tried it - but as I said all 4 failed and this cycle I did nothing and it worked

Obv take folic acid but I popped a pill daily for years thinking what if ...... I knew of a lady who son had spina bif as started taking folic when she knew she was preg at 10w but that was too late

Sorry that was a bit of woffle x

bananafish81 Mon 08-Aug-16 00:07:59

Folic acid definitely definitely

My cousin and his wife had to TFMR at 22 weeks due to a fatal neural tube defect - this was 16 years ago, before the guidance for folic acid was widespread

She subsequently took folic acid and went on to have three healthy pregnancies (kids are now 15, 13 and 7)

I have to take prescription strength 5mg folic acid because epilepsy meds increase the risk of neural tube defects (affects metabolism of folate). Unless you're epileptic or have a family history of neural tube defects, the standard dose 400mcg is perfectly adequate

GlummyMummy Mon 08-Aug-16 07:37:50

Thanks! I was the same in my first cycle-took nothing and ate as usual and it worked!

Think I am more paranoid now after failed cycle in March. Had heard too much Vit E can cause birth defects but not sure how much is too much.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 08-Aug-16 07:47:58

My gp only said take vit d for bones etc as well as folic acid

Havnt a clue about vit e

bananafish81 Mon 08-Aug-16 08:13:09

I stopped taking everything extra and just took what was in the multivitamin, as those were safe

GlummyMummy Tue 09-Aug-16 20:14:54

Thanks folks. Ive cut down my coQ10 but stopped extra vit E. Alpha lipoic acid seems to be ok so keeping on with it for now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now