Talk

Advanced search

6/7 week scan - what happens?

(27 Posts)
AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Wed 03-Aug-16 07:54:00

I'm currently 6w5d pg following years of TTC and IVF/ICSI. Today I'm having a scan to check that all is as it should be and I'm terrified sad I feel sick with fear.

Can anyone tell me what to expect? What does normal look like, and what are the risks of something being wrong?

mowglik Wed 03-Aug-16 11:50:11

Hi - I haven't had my 7 week scan yet but I did have one at 6w year ago with my ds. They will most likely do an internal scan and expect to see a sac and fetal pole and also maybe a heartbeat. I saw a heartbeat at 6w but my sister didn't and it was very stressful for her, she had to go back after a week and fortunately saw it then.

So don't worry too much if you don't see a heartbeat but fingers crossed you should expect to see a sac.

welshweasel Wed 03-Aug-16 11:54:26

I saw a little round splodge with a flickering heartbeat. I was a bit underwhelmed but obviously delighted that all looked well. I had a scan at 10 weeks for NIPT and that looked more like an actual baby. I was so terrified before the 7 week scan and I don't think anything that anyone says can make you feel less nervous. If you see a heartbeat, the chances of going home with a baby are more than 97%. I felt a bit abandoned after my 7 weeks scan as effectively I was discharged from the fertility clinic and had no more attention until my midwife booking appointment a few weeks later. Hope all goes well.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Wed 03-Aug-16 12:05:21

Thanks folks. The appointment's not till 18:00, so a long day at work ahead of me first, interspersed with sprints to the loo to vomit sad

Fingers and toes crossed!

bananafish81 Wed 03-Aug-16 13:22:27

Good luck!

I saw a heartbeat (and heard it - consultant flipped on the doppler and we heard the thump thump noise, which was just magical) at 7+1. It looked like a little prawn, with a little flashing light like a dynamo

We had a scan at 8+5 and it was definitely looking more baby shaped. If had little limb stumps and was starting to lose its tail

Sadly at our 10w scan there was no heartbeat, but this was just very unfortunate. The odds are very much in your favour once you've seen a heartbeat!

Will be thinking of you this evening flowers

moggle Wed 03-Aug-16 16:22:36

Our DD (from our first IVF fresh cycle, we were very lucky) looked like a grain of rice at the 7w scan :-D we nicknamed her (it!) Basmati for a while. We also could hear the heartbeat but as others have said - that's not always the case as just a day can make such a different in development at that very early stage. We were a bit hysterical with all the pent up emotion afterwards. That wait between positive test and the early scan was worse than the wait to take the test, for me. I hope it all goes well for you. xxx

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Aug-16 16:24:22

i had a scan beginning of this week at 5/4 as my clinic insisted on it, tho all i saw was a tiny sac

going back next week at 7/1 to hopefully see more and hear a heartbeat hopefully .....

will prob have one at 10w as well

gp told me that nothing happens till 12 weeks then next at 20 week via nhs

personally i think i will be having a scan every month or so to reassure me

wineandcheeseplease Wed 03-Aug-16 16:29:48

I saw a blob with a heartbeat. Nothing that you can make out but it's very reassuring to see

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Wed 03-Aug-16 20:23:17

So no heartbeat. Does that mean it's over? Told to come back on Monday for another scan, but I thought a heartbeat should show by now sad

closephine85 Wed 03-Aug-16 20:59:17

AHedgehog - obviously every case is different but I just wanted to hopefully offer some reassurance and say that when pregnant with my son I had a scan at 6.5 weeks - there was no heartbeat and there was barely anything to look at on the screen. one week later at 7.5 weeks he had morphed into a wonderful little jellybean with a flickering heartbeat. I hope this is the case for you too.

mowglik Thu 04-Aug-16 00:03:55

Ahedgehog - as I mentioned before my sister had a scan at 6w something and didn't see a heartbeat at her first scan but did after a week. Try not to worry until your next scan although I know that will be next to impossible. Good luck x

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Thu 04-Aug-16 08:51:22

Thanks mowglik and closephine, I'm desperately clinging on to hope that it'll all turn out ok. Fucking infertility, it's not bloody fair! angry

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 04-Aug-16 11:03:22

Hedgehog. I was told that sometimes under 7w doesn't show a heart beat. Try and keep positive tho hard I know and hope next scan will show a fluttering heart 💐

moggle Thu 04-Aug-16 11:20:17

Aww shit, I'm sorry Hedgehog, what a headf**k. I hope Monday shows a heartbeat. You're right on the cusp - my clinic only books this scan after 7 weeks to try and avoid this heartache.
I do think that after infertility upon getting a BFP we should immediately get a pass to a trouble free pregnancy!
This weekend is going to be tough, no two ways about it, be kind to yourself. xxxx

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Fri 05-Aug-16 13:46:59

Thanks folks for all the kind words. I agree moggle, we should totally get a free pass after all the heartache we've been through to finally get a BFP!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 05-Aug-16 18:03:03

Tbh I think we will worry till we have our baby in our arms

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Mon 08-Aug-16 08:58:07

Went for the second scan and was told there's an empty sac but no baby. So I'm now waiting for the miscarriage to begin sad

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 08-Aug-16 09:09:11

Oh hedgehog - that truely sucks. I'm so very sorry 💐💐💐

Thinking of you and your partner xx

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Mon 08-Aug-16 10:29:49

Thanks Blondes, appreciate it.

We're planning on trying again with a frostie ASAP.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 08-Aug-16 11:33:25

Glad you have a Frostie. Wishing you the best of luck

My Frostie finally worked xxx

welshweasel Mon 08-Aug-16 11:48:00

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the frostie

mowglik Mon 08-Aug-16 11:57:14

Oh no hedgehog so sorry to hear that. Fc the frostie is the one that makes it. I have my scan next week and have not got many symptoms anymore so am feeling the same fears. Good luck with your next cycle

moggle Mon 08-Aug-16 12:11:32

So sorry hedgehog. xxx
Good luck with the little frostie when the time comes xxx

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Mon 08-Aug-16 12:37:21

Thanks guys.

I'll transfer all the prayers and fingers crossed to mowglik, I hope your scan goes well.

drinkyourmilk Mon 08-Aug-16 17:02:03

Hedgehog I'm so sorry to read this. My heart goes out to you . I'm 6 weeks today and started miscarrying last night. It's so bloody cruel isn't it.
take time off work and be kind to yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now