very light periods post-partum - is it prolactin or Asherman's? I'd like to hear your experiences

(10 Posts)
microferret Sat 30-Jul-16 11:58:07

I gave birth to DD in Dec 2014. OB-GYN discovered that I had some retained placenta about 8 weeks post-partum so had a D&C which removed some but not all of the placenta - was left to "re-absorb" the remainder (whatever that means). I knew the risks of Asherman's but there was no other option at the time, I was still bleeding two months after birth and it had to be removed.

I only started my periods again about 3-4 months ago (15 months after giving birth), although I have always had ovulation pains and I am sure I felt some before that. I didn't think anything of it because I'm still breastfeeding so I put the long delay down to prolactin in my body. I still BF now, about 5-6 times a day (although often for a short duration - I think it's more a habit for DD than anything else).

Each period (3 in total) has been incredibly light - I'm talking a couple of spots of brownish-pinky discharge, occasionally a dot of red blood, but never lasts longer than a day. I know that this can be a symptom of Asherman's. Has anybody had a similar experience? What was the outcome? I would be grateful to hear your stories.

PotteringAlong Sat 30-Jul-16 12:01:26

Was your daughter the result of IVF? (Ie are you posting here because you think the drugs have messed up your system)

microferret Sat 30-Jul-16 12:16:33

No she wasn't, I didn't have any problems before... Perhaps this is the wrong place - I just put it here because I know that Asherman's can cause infertility. Basically I am worried about uterine scarring / adhesions from the D&C, I haven't had any drugs which might have caused problems, only this surgical procedure.

bananafish81 Sat 30-Jul-16 12:29:55

D&C can definitely cause Ashermans - tests worth having
- basic pelvic ultrasound
- saline ultrasound to better visualise the endometrium
- hysteroscopy is the gold standard - can diagnose and treat

We were very concerned that my ERPC had left me with adhesions because I have persistent thin lining issues - the hysteroscopy gave me a great deal of reassurance to know I didn't have any scarring (and have seen the photos inside my uterus to prove it!)

If there are issues then diagnosis is the first step to getting them treated

Good luck

livinginabox Sat 30-Jul-16 12:38:53

I breastfed for 2.5 years. Periods returned after around 15 months but we're very light initially. By the time DS was 2 I was feeding twice a day, then once a day until I stopped. Periods got heavier the less I fed but once I stopped breastfeeding h completely I had a massive heavy period, then they went back to normal per baby periods.

microferret Sat 30-Jul-16 12:50:38

thanks all, v helpful to get your replies.

livinginabox it's very encouraging to hear that. I'm hoping that's all it is. I suppose when my period comes it doesn't feel at all like a normal period, no bloating, cramps or sore tits. So perhaps the hormones just haven't properly kicked into gear yet. Fingers crossed...

bananafish81 yes I think I'll have to ask to have all three, just in case. We are TTC now and if there is an issue I need to know asap! I was wondering though, it sounds as though you experienced something similar, did you have light periods as well post ERPC? Or were you just concerned because of lining issues?

bananafish81 Sat 30-Jul-16 12:59:11

I had light periods before my ERPC and persistent thin lining in both my natural and IVF cycles. I needed a boatload of oestrogen tablets to thicken up my lining in order to proceed to embryo transfer in my January IVF cycle (got pregnant, but miscarried in Mar, ERPC same day)

My thin lining was likely the result of long term use of the pill

My Dr wanted to be absolutely confident in the integrity of the endometrium post ERPC, given my previous issues, and the fact that my miscarriage was likely due in part to my thin lining (tissue testing showed the foetus was chromosomally normal)

I haven't had any periods since my ERPC in March as we've been doing treatment pretty solidly since then (and with PCOS I don't have cycles anyway)

My lining problems are to do with oestrogen issues, not the structural integrity of the endometrium

Sadly I'm about to have a second FET cancelled due to thin lining - unless I have a miracle turnaround at my scan tomorrow. However this is about my response to oestrogen - we've thoroughly checked out the endometrium and there doesn't appear to be any indication of scarring or adhesions

microferret Sat 30-Jul-16 13:05:56

I'm sorry to hear that. I will send positive thoughts your way for tomorrow and I wish you all the best - miracles can happen cake smile

GlummyMummy Sun 31-Jul-16 18:58:17

Hi, I had a haemorrhage after the birth of my daughter, so had a clean up of sorts after that to remove any clots left. Since then, I have suffered with thin lining and much lighter periods so can only think it's as a result of this. I don't get any cramps either. Might be worth asking your clinic to have a look.

bananafish81 Mon 01-Aug-16 13:45:12

My cycle was cancelled due to thin lining

We're doing a SHG (saline ultrasound) and if Dr isn't happy with the appearance of the endometrium, we will do another hysteroscopy, and put in a copper coil for 1-2 months

The coil creates an inflammatory reaction to encourage the lining to grow. Much like a turbo version of the endometrial scratch. He said it's why women with copper coils have heavier periods (vs the Mirena which thins the lining)

It's used for women with Ashermans post surgery to remove adhesions to keep the walls of the uterus apart

Hoping to avoid another hysteroscopy (assume would be two - one to go in and have a look around and insert the coil, and another one to remove it and check out the environment afterwards) but needs must

The irony of going on contraception to try and help me get and stay pregnant is not lost on me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now