Talk

Advanced search

Gonal F not put in fridge on warm day!!!

(6 Posts)
GlummyMummy Fri 22-Jul-16 09:07:53

Got my Gonal F injections yesterday to start tonight. Left them in my bedroom when I got home from the clinic and then had a busy day so totally forgot they were there until 5pm when I suddenly realised I was meant to store them in the fridge. Nurse hadn't mentioned this when I collected them but it does say refrigerate on the box. Called the clinic and they said that they should be stored below 25degrees and that if the room was hotter than this, then I will have to pay to replace them!!!

Anyone had a similar situation? Have you been told to keep in the fridge? Be costly to replace but then I want to ensure they work! Reckon it must have been about 25 degrees outside yesterday but no idea what the room temp would have been (it is a sunny room and the window was open). They are in the fridge now.

closephine85 Fri 22-Jul-16 09:34:10

Hmm, it's a similar temperature today where
I am, to yesterday. If it's the same where you are could you conduct an experiment by opening the window and putting a thermometer where you left the injection to give you an idea?

I was told by the dr that mine had to be in a cool place, pharmacy said fridge.

GlummyMummy Fri 22-Jul-16 12:22:36

thanks Closephine. No sun out here today, whereas it was out yesterday, but will certainly try that to see. So annoyed with myself. The clinic gave me a bag to carry the injections around in so I guess they must expect it to be out the fridge at certain stages?!?

SesameSparkle Sat 23-Jul-16 01:29:33

Hi Gonal F can be safely stored at room temperature for up to 3 months or up to 1 month after it has been opened. Storing in the fridge is only needed if you wanted to store for the full shelf life listed on the box.

If the box was kept indoors and not directly in the sun it sounds to me that it's a good chance that everything would be fine. But only you can judge this. Does your room usually get hot or unbearable a sunny day? Did the room feel warm when you entered it at the end of the day? Have you had a problem with cosmetics spoiling or melting?

GlummyMummy Mon 25-Jul-16 20:14:30

My clinic have advised me that they wouldnt be able to guarantee the efficiency of the drugs, seeing as they were out the fridge then put back in. Apparently it's continuity of temperature that's important so because they were in the fridge in the hospital they should remain in the fridge. You would think the nurses would have told me, given that it's July and warm outside! Anyway, I've had to fork out for a new batch so word of warning to anyone else taking Gonal F - make sure you either keep it out the fridge or in the fridge and not a mixture of the two!

GlummyMummy Mon 25-Jul-16 20:16:09

My clinic have advised me that they wouldnt be able to guarantee the efficiency of the drugs, seeing as they were out the fridge then put back in. Apparently it's continuity of temperature that's important so because they were in the fridge in the hospital they should remain in the fridge. You would think the nurses would have told me, given that it's July and warm outside! Anyway, I've had to fork out for a new batch so word of warning to anyone else taking Gonal F - make sure you either keep it out the fridge or in the fridge and not a mixture of the two!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now