Talk

Advanced search

Any first ivf attempt success stories?

(30 Posts)
Thecatswhiskers33 Sun 17-Jul-16 12:28:03

Hi
Im just starting my first ivf. Both healthy and have unexplained infertility..just wondering if anyone has had any luck on their first go?
I know everyone one is different but just wondered...

welshweasel Sun 17-Jul-16 12:31:39

Yes! I have PCOS and bad endometriosis and DH has had a vasectomy so we had ICSI following surgical sperm retrieval. I had lots of problems with the cycle and it was almost cancelled but thankfully we persevered and DS is now 6 months old. We have 3 embryos in the freezer but I'm not sure we will go again. Best of luck, it's not an easy thing to go through. I found the cycle buddies boards on fertility friends invaluable support when we were doing our cycle.

Thecatswhiskers33 Sun 17-Jul-16 12:35:31

Thank you welshweasel. I'm in wales too.
It's great it worked for you first time x
I start my jabs next week. Fingers crossed x

bouncyball16 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:03:42

I had IVF in October last year. It was our first go following nearly 3years of trying and a diagnosis of 'unexplained infertility' (IMO the most frustrating diagnosis!). Like you, we are lucky and have no health conditions whatsoever. We had to finance it ourselves as we did not qualify for NHS funding so it was a big decision to make.
I am now sat in my garden overdue waiting patiently (confused) for labour to start.
We also have 3 frozen embryos which we hope to use in the future.
My advice, take each day as it comes. Try not to look too far ahead. Everybody seems to know someone who has had IVF their neighbour, friends sister, colleagues cousin...the postmans Zumba friends aunt! Unless they have been through it themselves they won't understand so try not to listen.
I think about those couples who's struggle continues and I class me and DH as the lucky ones who were blessed that it worked first time. I would give it another go in a heartbeat and class it as a positive experience...that coming from a self confessed extreme worrier!
I really hope you have your happy ending OP x

YouSay Sun 17-Jul-16 13:05:58

I know three people that it worked for first time. Good luck!

Thecatswhiskers33 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:08:22

Hi bouncy ball..ur post really made me smile x
Big congrats on ur pregnancy and hopefully you wont have to wait too much longer x
Thank you for the advice x i an too a big big worrier! And over think things

PlanBwastaken Sun 17-Jul-16 13:08:30

Yep, worked twice on the first attempt! We're like the jackpot winners of IVF...

Good luck smile

Thecatswhiskers33 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:12:37

Thanks all x

Bear2014 Mon 18-Jul-16 09:51:12

Worked first time for us three years ago but we're not being so lucky with her sibling.

I know 4 other couples who it worked for first time. It can happen and there were 2 sets of twins in there.

Thecatswhiskers33 Mon 18-Jul-16 17:35:08

Wow thats great Bear . There is hope it can work for me then x
I hope you have some luck soon x

bouncyball16 Sat 30-Jul-16 19:33:56

Cats, I thought you may be interested to know last week I had my DD via Caesarian after we discovered very late on that she was breech. Following her birth the consultant told me he had found me to have a minor case of endometriosis. He said this would be the explanation for my infertility. I was shocked! He advised me that following my pregnancy and birth of DD the condition has cleared up and my fertility will return...he actually encouraged me to get on contraception (whilst still on the operating table!)

When I was not getting pregnant and having the tests on the NHS I did not have a laparoscopy test which would have diagnosed the condition. I had no other symptoms of endometriosis so it was not done. I have since looked in to it and 25% of women with endometriosis have no symptoms!

I hope your treatment is going well x

evilgiraffe Sat 30-Jul-16 19:53:39

Yup, me too smile

Congratulations on your DD, bouncy!

I had a laparoscopy (on the NHS) six months before starting IVF, which removed one fallopian tube which was blocked and provided me with a diagnosis of severe endometriosis, as well as removing the endo. As with bouncy, infertility had been my only symptom (although once I had a diagnosis I could see that actually I matched a lot of the typical endo features). I was put on zoladex after the laparoscopy to treat the endo, then had long protocol IVF. Our embryos were all quite poor quality (none good enough to freeze), so I had two put back - one of them implanted successfully and is now my 2 year old DD1. Much to our astonishment, when she was a year old I became pregnant naturally, and now have a 4 month old DD2 too.

Anything can happen, and very best of luck smile

Thecatswhiskers33 Sat 30-Jul-16 20:37:28

Thank you Bouncyball and Giraffe..and congrats on the birth of you DD grin
I have had my tubes checked but it may be something to look into. I hope i will be as lucky as you ladies. Im on long protocol and been on suprecur for a week. Got scan 8th aug then should start stims x

closeyoureyes23 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:12:56

To be honest, I know some women personally who managed to conceive on the first try and heard numerous stories that it happens often enough. But I'm not among them. All in all I had 3 unsuccessful icsi and 1failed ivf. And only after that I succeeded to get pregnant.

Thecatswhiskers33 Mon 01-Aug-16 19:09:54

Hi close your eyes..im sorry you had to go through it a few times but congrats on the pregnancy.
I'm down regging at the mo and start stims on the 8th. So getting ever close. So nervous now

HelloMist Mon 01-Aug-16 19:16:30

It did work first time for me. I was lucky not to have many side effects with the medication either. I was very nervous at the start though and didn't really let myself relax fully until I got to the second trimester, though as the weeks went on and had scans etc things got more manageable. I think it's a good idea to be optimistic but still realistic. Good luck!

CatatonicLadybug Mon 01-Aug-16 19:17:54

First time success here- he's two now but it took five years to get him, with 'unexplained' and both otherwise very healthy.

Working up to an attempt at a sibling now, but honestly so happy with one that my mindset feels completely different this time around, though I'm sure the big emotions will come later either way.

But I know three first time success stories just within our toddler groups, so it is possible. All the best to you!!

Thecatswhiskers33 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:20:34

Thanks Mist and Ladybug. We have been trying for 5 years too...lets hope im as lucky as you ladies x

Turbinaria Mon 01-Aug-16 21:28:23

SIL had endometriosis and IVF. She was pregnant first time with twins they are now 13

elvesareneverhappy Mon 01-Aug-16 21:35:35

I had ICSI because DH had low sperm count. Now I have a nearly 3 year old and we had 6 frozen embryos. Two rounds of frozen embryo transfers later and I have 7 month old twins.

Good luck!

Thecatswhiskers33 Mon 01-Aug-16 23:13:25

All these lovely stories are filling me with hope x smile
Thanks all x

closeyoureyes23 Tue 02-Aug-16 08:14:47

I don't claim that it is impossible. I just mean that it happens more rarely. Although I think the golden mean is 2 shots. Most of couples I know got pregnant exactly with second shot.

HelloMist Tue 02-Aug-16 15:16:05

of course, closeyoureyes, it will take a lot of couples more tries. I do know of many others where it hasn't worked first time. Sorry that you had to go through so much before you did get pregnant.

Ladybug, it's good that you're enjoying life with DS and will be feeling (hopefully) still more relaxed if you do decide to try again!

I've started a cycle buddies thread if anyone's interested. (As I am about to start FET to try for another).

user1468929072 Wed 24-Aug-16 15:29:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Thecatswhiskers33 Wed 24-Aug-16 20:12:20

Thank you x xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now