Talk

Advanced search

Bleeding after egg transfer

(24 Posts)
Boasterzo Sat 02-Jul-16 17:51:33

Hi there,

So I had my egg transfer on Tuesday 28th and a couple of days later I noticed a pinkish bleed after going to the toilet. The bleed was nothing more than a spot or two and stopped pretty much as soon as it started. I thought nothing of it and carried on with my day.

Nothing else happened that day, but the next day I got the same thing in the morning, with fresh blood that then turned brown within 20mins of me checking it again. Once again the bleed was very quick and stopped almost straight away.

Today I've had the same thing and I'm starting to get worried about what's going on in my womb. I'm on the progesterone Pessaries, so I wasn't expecting to bleed.

Has anyone else experienced this? And was everything still ok?

Thanks

cheapredwine Sat 02-Jul-16 18:57:24

Are you using vagina for the pessaries? If so they could well be irritating your cervix (which might have been slightly bashed about during transfer anyway). How many of them are you on? You should definitely also ring your clinic for advice. When's your OTD?

I did experience bleeding in my first 2 cycles during the 2ww and unfortunately it wasn't good news but hasten to add my experience of bleeding was very different to yours by the sounds of things - I basically started bleeding like a period, but heavier than normal, and it was constant for about 5 days.

Wishing you all the best OP flowers

Boasterzo Sat 02-Jul-16 19:14:32

Hi ya,

I called the Clinic on Friday to explain and they suggested it might be the Pessaries and to try using them rectally. I did that last night and this morning, but still had that weird one off bleed.

I'm on 400mg twice a day.

Is it too much to ask for it yo be an implantation bleed? I'm not supposed to test until next Saturday!

cheapredwine Sat 02-Jul-16 19:23:10

I have never had an implantation bleed so I'm sorry, I don't know, but my gut feeling is would probably be a one off if it was implantation, not several times? But someone else might have better advice on that.

If it is your cervix being raw (I'd put money on it) then it will take a little time to heal, so even if you used bottom recently, you could presumably still bleed from the irritated patches until they heal? If the clinic haven't said to up to three or more a day then I would guess they aren't too concerned. Keep using back door and hopefully it'll settle down.

bunnybow Sat 02-Jul-16 19:23:23

I've had a few cycles of Ivf. With my failed ones the bleeding was just like my period starting as normal. I didn't bleed on my successful cycle but lots of people do have implantation bleeding so fingers crossed for you.

I hated the pessaries and they didn't work for me (started bleeding a few days after transfer) for my successful cycle I switched to gestone injections very painful but no worrying if the progesterone being absorbed.

I feel for you the 2ww is awful sadflowers

cheapredwine Sat 02-Jul-16 19:25:52

Yes, you could ask for Gestone (though they injections shouldn't actually be painful) or Lubion which is sub-cutaeneous like stims jabs. The progesterone is absorbed more easily from injections.

Boasterzo Sat 02-Jul-16 19:35:45

Thanks for all your comments. I wish I could do the test now and just get over it or be happy; it feels like my life's on hold till then!

I guess I'll just have to ride it out. First cycle of IVF was stressful. Can't imagine having to go through it again right now hmm

MoMandaS Sat 02-Jul-16 19:43:09

Could be irritated cervix, could be implantation. No way of knowing. FWIW on both my cycles I tested 10dpo (i.e. 10 days after egg collection, not transfer) and got positive results both times. So if you really can't wait (as I couldn't) you could test earlier than next Sat, bearing in mind that a negative result 10dpo does NOT mean you're not pregnant - all depends on how your body responds and how much HCG you produce. Just test again later if you get a negative. Good luck!

cheapredwine Sat 02-Jul-16 19:47:00

You can also test out the trigger shot - but means you might well get early positives, which could be a complete head fuck. Are you POAS next Sat or is it a blood test?

cheapredwine Sat 02-Jul-16 19:49:25

AFAIK private clinics using blood tests (bHCG) will do them from around 10 days after EC so basically works as Mo said, even if you're POAS. If that makes sense

Boasterzo Sat 02-Jul-16 20:05:49

Hi,

All I've been told is that I should do a pregnancy test on Saturday and then call the clinic with the result. I wasn't told they would take bloods, so I don't know what to expect.

It's so weird this bleed, it's literally like 1 spot of water red or brown when I wipe and then it's gone by the next time I go to the toilet and doesn't return again until the next day (well, so far that's how it's worked).

I think I will do a test sooner, but I'm not on a 2ww, it's only 11 days. Does that make a difference?

bunnybow Sat 02-Jul-16 20:19:45

I would really advise against testing out the trigger injection, it just adds more stress to the situation (for me anyway).

It sounds like a cliche but my successful cycle ( round 5) was the one where I didn't test early and I was more relaxed about everything, tbh I think I had given up!

If you test positive and continue spotting I would request blood tests.

Boasterzo Sat 02-Jul-16 20:32:35

Thanks again everyone. I'm finding this forum very comforting! X

cheapredwine Sat 02-Jul-16 21:03:44

I'd never test out the trigger either, way too much of a head fuck. It's very common in the US though I think. I've only tested early in 1 of 3 cycles, when I got what was obviously effectively my period after only 6 days and I knew it hadn't worked, I just needed to know for sure as it was ridiculous as it was so obvious.

If the clinic has told you to POAS then that's all you need to do, you won't have to have bloods as well that day. But you will need to ring them with the result. Although I agree with bunny, you need to tell them if you get a positive and you're spotting.

Just out of interest is it an NHS cycle?

No, it makes no difference if it's 11 days - my fault for calling it 2ww really, though that is effectively what it is.

My 1st cycle I was massively stressed by the whole process. Hopefully it will work for you, but if it doesn't I found it got much easier as you get more of an old hand (as depressing as that is). But like I said, hopefully you'll only need this cycle!

Boasterzo Sat 02-Jul-16 21:26:07

Yes I we're NHS. we've been awarded two tries, so it's nerve wracking and this is my first time so I just don't know what to expect about any of it.

I have found it very stressful, but could see it being easier second time around as I'd know what to expect.

I have polycystic ovaries and blocked tubes, but I've been told my mob lining is good and I have a high egg reserve. I'm 34, 35 in October, so I'm hoping to get pregnant soon, as ideally I wanted to be under 35 and not nearer to 40.

I always get spotting at this time before my period usually, but it looks slightly different. I think that's probably what's happening despite the Pessaries. Never mind, I'll just ride it out and hope for the bat next week.

By the way, I'm not sure what the 'trigger' thingy is. grin

MoMandaS Sat 02-Jul-16 21:41:21

They mean if you do pregnancy tests really soon after egg collection, the tests will pick up the HCG hormone still in your system from the trigger injection (the one you have 36 hours before egg collection). The same hormone (HCG) gets released soon after the embryo implants, and that's what pregnancy tests detect. So 'testing it out' means doing pregnancy tests directly after trigger injection until it doesn't get picked up by them. Once tests are showing negative, you leave it a few days and start testing again, so you know the positive result you're getting is because of a pregnancy, not the trigger injection. I never did that, just left it until 10 days after egg collection.

bunnybow Wed 06-Jul-16 19:31:49

Any update? Been thinking of you.

Boasterzo Wed 06-Jul-16 21:20:35

Hi Bunnybow,

Well the clinic are asking me to continue with the Pessaries despite still spotting everyday. I'm pretty certain I'm not pregnant, but I've held off doing a test until the actual test day (which is Saturday).

I can't imagine anything would have survived in there given the amount of blood loss. The clinic think it's unusual for someone to start bleeding so soon after ET (just 2 days after), but this is exactly when I would have started spitting in a usual cycle. All I can think of is the progesterone wasn't strong enough for me.

I'll update you Saturday, but I very much doubt I'll have a positive result.

Thanks for thinking of me X

bunnybow Thu 07-Jul-16 14:11:00

It sounds exactly the same as what happened to me during one of my cycles, the pessaries were no good for me. The first round is often trial and error, at least for your next go you can request gestone. It made all the difference for me, I now have twins.

Fingers crossed for you though, it's not over until it's over x

Boasterzo Sat 09-Jul-16 22:24:48

Hi Bunnybow,

So it was test day today and as suspected it was negative. I'm not as disappointed though as I had already come to the assumption that it hadn't worked.

I've been thinking a lot about the whole process and I think the next cycle will be much better for me. I'll know what to expect, I won't be so terrified of the injections and they can hopefully put me on the right dose of meds.

When I called the clinic today they informed me that it was their policy to use our frozen embryo's first (as we're NHS). I'm a little bit concerned about this as I've read that the odds are less successful when using frozen embryo's, and this will be our last free cycle. Did you go through this process at all?

We're not beaten yet! smile

Laurajon33 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:06:43

Hi Bunny. I had my consultation friday for my 1st go of ivf. And they explained to me that they have good success rates of frozen egg transfer. Also when they use the frozen eggs its still classed as 1st cycle. Only 2nd cycle when they do the second egg collection. Hope this helps

Laurajon33 Sat 16-Jul-16 19:07:34

I start my jabs 24th july x

Boasterzo Sat 16-Jul-16 21:14:39

Hi Laura,

That is helpful to know. Good luck for your cycle. I found it a bit of a rollercoaster the first time round as I didn't know what to expect. I think my 2nd cycle will be less stressful.

Please feel free to ask me questions about the process if you feel unsure. Best of luck xx

ncayley115 Tue 23-Aug-16 10:19:38

I had huge bleeds at 6 and 8 weeks after ISCI FET in Spain. I was hospitalised both times. I was convinced the baby was lost both times. I now have a gorgeous 18 month old little boy xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now