Talk

Advanced search

To think that i am going to be covered in bruises from injecting Clexane!?

(34 Posts)
FraggleRock77 Thu 16-Jun-16 19:42:42

Any advice/experience welcomed?

farfallarocks Thu 16-Jun-16 21:31:23

Yes! I had to do them through 2 pregnancies and you will look a bit bruised but they are not that painful once you get used to it. Try and get the retractable ones they are much better!

cheapredwine Thu 16-Jun-16 22:41:34

Yes you will. And I found I bruised the same from standard syringes or the retractable make-you-jump-the-first-few-times ones. Don't rub the jab site afterwards, it'll make it much worse. You can use thighs instead of tummy if you want but you might find the bruising worse and the lumps bigger. Sorry can't be more positive!

Zippybear Thu 16-Jun-16 22:51:47

Don't pinch the skin, just kind of stretch it out before injecting, and don't rub afterwards. Alternate sides. I find the bruising gets worse as time goes on (even in the older injection sites) probably as the clexane is working more

FellOutOfBed2wice Thu 16-Jun-16 22:58:54

I would say do it in your stomach because I lost sensation in my thighs for a whole year after injecting into them during pregnancy/postnatal. It was horrible and really weird, I would get an itch and try and scratch it but it could never be satisfied because the area was numb! GP said it's quite common. Didn't have that issue when injecting for a similar time in my stomach.

FraggleRock77 Thu 16-Jun-16 23:24:21

Thank you for all the feedback. I'm only on day three of injecting and i will have to continue throughout if i get that far! I already have three small bruises. I will try to apply some of your wisdom. Why is nothing simple!!confused

farfallarocks Fri 17-Jun-16 08:06:30

Definitely avoid the thighs! I rotated around the tummy allowing each site to heal. It's grim but it is magic stuff ( have had 3 Mcs without it!)

cheapredwine Fri 17-Jun-16 14:42:25

As your bump gets bigger it is an increasing head fuck (well for me anyway) using tummy. But yes, you'll get fewer problems in terms of lumps / bruising there.

FraggleRock77 Fri 17-Jun-16 15:28:36

Hasn't even thought of that possible joy to come! Just purchased an expensive freezing spray to try and stop blood being close to the surface of my skin.

NotSpartacus Fri 17-Jun-16 16:08:41

I found some of the lower sites on my tummy (well below my belly button) less uncomfortable than higher sites, and for some reason the right side of my tum was easier than my left (bizarrely I sometimes couldn't get the needle to go easily into the skin on the left). Don't wear clothes that dig into your tummy at all for a bit after injecting or you end up with waistband shaped bruising.

Good luck, I'll be starting on this again in about 10 days if I get my FET then. I am not looking forward to those awful blunt clexane needles sad

FraggleRock77 Fri 17-Jun-16 18:19:18

Good luck Spart. It takes me at least two initial jabs to get the needle through my skin as i forget the force needed, which does not help. I'm guessing if i get that far that i will be an expert at 9 months!

Zippybear Fri 17-Jun-16 18:29:54

The needles are beveled so if it's not going in turn the syringe around 180degrees if you see what I mean. Also I find it's easier if you go through the skin at a slight angle rather than plunge straight in

charleybarley Fri 17-Jun-16 18:37:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IloveCheese11 Fri 17-Jun-16 18:37:49

I find it helps if you can sit still and lean back for 5 minutes afterwards. It seems to give it a chance to 'absorb' and less bruising. The ones I've had to do at work when I have to put tights and skirt back over straight away have bruised the worst. And yes to stretching the skin rather than pinching and don't rub.

FraggleRock77 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:18:49

Thank for all the feedback. Feeling pretty fed up all ready! Just about to face it again! I'm so very pale and bruise easily anyway! sad

Zippybear Fri 17-Jun-16 19:24:42

I really hated them too originally fraggle but you will get a lot better at it after a week or two!!

CottonSock Fri 17-Jun-16 19:28:13

It gets easier. Bruises are not nice though, I tended to bleed a bit sometimes too. Dark bed sheets recommended

FraggleRock77 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:43:57

Thank you. I've just tried freezing the spot with ice and very slowly pushing the needle/meds in, then ice again for ten minutes. Still blood but looks better. I never know until the next day if there is going to be a bruise. What a bloody faff!!! Hopefully this freezing spray will arrive soon.

FraggleRock77 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:48:43

Anyone tried arnica?

Lonnysera Fri 17-Jun-16 19:50:16

I shall share my patented clexane method:

Put syringe in bra to warm up stuff.

Find an ice lolly and stuff down the side of your pants, to where your fupa is, if you're a bit portly.

Leave lolly in situ for a good 5 mins.

Quickly remove lolly and inject warmed clexane into frozen skin

Eat lolly.

Wallah. grin

FraggleRock77 Fri 17-Jun-16 19:54:10

Love it! Do you think it would work with a cornetto?

Lonnysera Fri 17-Jun-16 20:24:08

My extensive research says no, because the cone fm doesn't get cold enough. Frozen pastry is very good though.

CoperCabana Fri 17-Jun-16 20:32:46

I did it through two pregnancies all the way through and six weeks after, and always went on the right side of my tummy. As others said, found the left side harder, so just stuck with the right. I pinched to get just fat and didn't rub, and after the first couple of times, I barely bruised, and barely felt it. When I got my first set of injections, and sharps bin, I genuinely didn't think I could go through with it. Two school age girls later, I can barely remember it. Hang on in there. Its so tough but so worth it if you get there. X

farfallarocks Sat 18-Jun-16 00:49:14

Hang in there I thought they were bad until I had to do gestone!

sycamore54321 Sat 18-Jun-16 01:17:10

I don't have infertility but had six months of Clexane after a postpartum DVT and am now back on it when pregnant. I hate the thought of them but have pretty much perfected the routine by now and haven't had a single major bruise on this pregnancy (although the prophylactic dose is only half the size of the treatment dose I had with DVT so that factors in too).

My carefully honed routine:

Assemble equipment - Water Wipe. Ice cube, good light, injection, sharps box, iPod.

Clean skin with Water Wipe and then wrap ice cube in it and press on to skin for a minute or two while you do the rest.

Open packet, remove and discard needle cap, if you need to adjust your dose squeeze out the excess. Either way, make absolutely sure there is no droplet of Clexane at the tip of the needle - this will sting like hell if there is.

Drop ice cube and get a good big pinch of tummy - I find lower down and farthest out to the side tends to be the easiest sites, but you need to rotate. Take a good look at the skin you are pinching in good light - you are looking for the whitest patch, which is fat cells and least amount of nerves and blood vessels.

Rotate the needle so that the very top will enter first - make the bevel work for you. Now, in you go into the whitest patch on your pinch. I prefer to press the needle down and add force to punch the skin, but I know others prefer the dart technique.

Once in, pause for a second and squeeze the plunger steadily - if it stings badly, slow down or even pause. Concentrate on wiggling your toes while plunging, it distracts nicely. Keep holding the pinch throughout.

If you have the self-retracting needles, then it is easy as it pulls it out for you. If not, try to pull out at exactly the same angle as you entered. Discard safely in sharps bin.

Take the wipe you had wrapped the ice cube in and gently lay on your skin (wipe only, not the ice cube as it is too heavy). Do not touch or rub the skin.

Stick on a good power ballad on our iPad, sing along. Guaranteed to have stopped stinging and burning by the time you finish the song. And rest up for a few minutes before you put on any tight clothes.

All done, til tomorrow. It sounds a lot longer than it is, once you get the swing of it. Doing all this means I haven't had much pain and not a single major bruise this time round. If you find you are consistently bruising, maybe get a medical professional to observe you doing one injection in your normal way and see if they can offer any advice in your technique. Also sounds obvious but make sure you don't inject into a previously bruised area - a good strong light and careful selection of your site will help.

Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now