miscarriage- had medical management need advice(15 Posts)
I didn't know where to post this and didn't want to post on pregnancy as last thing you want to read about when you're pregnant is miscarriage.
I had a missed miscarriage or anembryonic/blighted ovum- hospital cant confirm which.
After a bit of brown spotting I had a scan at 9 weeks- gest sac measured 6.6 weeks and no yolk sac plus embryo inconclusive
Result= inconclusive and I was sent home to wait with another scan scheduled for a week as regulations mean they cannot say I was miscarrying- although I knew at this point I was.
Week later- still 'products' left although I had passed the sac. I sad I wanted another week to see if it would pass naturally- it didn't.
So I went for medical management- took this on Friday morning and nothing but horrendous cramps and a tny bit of very light brown discharge.
I'm still in pain now- but nothing is happening.
Its been three weeks now since I first started spotting- I just want it out
Any ideas how long I will have to wait before am allowed the op? I could have done this but I wanted to try less invasive option first.
Not much help probably but I had five weeks (from confirmation of miscarriage) of intermittent discharge - heavy/flooding at the end but days of nothing at all. It was awful and I'm sorry for you: traumatic enough without the uncertainty. I had no intervention. (but did go on to have a healthy baby exactly 11 months after that baby's due date - so 70 something weeks after the miscarriage)
Thanks- I have pretty much had nearly two weeks of nothing so I am feeling like intervention is necessary- I have 3cm of 'products' inside and I just have a feeling that it has no intention of shifting.
Believe me, I wish it would go naturally. :'(
Thanks very much for replying with your experience
I had a mmc last year. Had early scan at 8 weeks only to be told sac was measuring only 5-6 weeks. Knew my dates 100% but, like you, had to go back following week to check no growth.
Like you I also opted to let nature take its course. Which it did at 11 weeks. Painful, lots of clots and bleeding for about a week. Also saw sac that I passed.
Scan a week later to check all gone. Diagnosed with retained products. Ended up having a few internal scans and each time was told I had retained products (I refused d&c as felt fine - so no infection). Last scan sonographer said, actually I don't think it is retained products, I think you have a bicornate uterus (heart shaped). That was on the Thursday and my period arrived on the Saturday.
The last sonographer also said that sometimes if they can tell that the next period is imminent, and no signs of infection, they let retained products get flushed out with the period.
Hope my essay helps a bit, and hope it works out for you and you avoid an op. Sorry for your loss too.
Sorry, just reread your OP - have a word and request the op as soon as possible.
I'm so very very sorry for your loss and for everything you are going through. Nothing I can day that will take the pain away but just sending love and strength
Afraid I have no experience of medical management - I had a MMC at 10w and had an ERPC the very same day - mine was private so I'm not sure how long NHS would take from a process POV. But medically I wouldn't have thought there was any reason you wouldn't be able to have the op ASAP
I found surgical management very straightforward - I didn't have any pain and very minimal bleeding, so from a physical POV the recovery was very quickl
Thinking of you xx
As far as I know from friends, the NHS require two scans a week apart to confirm no fetal heartbeat before an ERPC can be scheduled. After weeks since your miscarriage was diagnosed there should be no reason you wouldn't be allowed an ERPC. I hope they are able to get you in for surgical management to get this resolved asap xx
I don't want an op really coffee and your post has got me thinking...
I am just worried about infection I guess plus it just not feel like anything is shifting.
Now I'm also wondering if the sonographer is wrong.
But I do want an op as well- if this is what it takes to finally shift it.
I am sure you can sense my uncertainty and anxiety about this!
I found the waiting the hardest. You're stuck in limbo with retained products. I also felt v anxious.
I was adamant I didn't want an op, as have previously had a c-section - so my womb is already scarred. Didn't want to risk more scarring. But I've friends who've wanted the op straight away - which I can understand completely.
Hope it resolves itself quickly - either naturally / via an op.
Thanks for your empathy Coffee
That's exactly how I feel- stuck in limbo.
Massive sloppy hugs - there are absolutely no right or wrong answers, just what ultimately feels right for you
For me personally I knew that I wanted surgical management straight away - I was very lucky that private medical insurance from work enabled me to get the op so quickly. I found out the baby had died at 10am, was in theatre by 6pm and home by 10pm the same day
Obv surgical management to prevent infection from retained products from failed medical management is somewhat different, but just wanted to offer my experience of having had the op - I absolutely don't regret it and found the physical recover being so quick helped me from an emotional POV
Wishing you lots of luck and support xx
Thanks Banana- I'm just a baby when it comes the op I think.
I will ring the hospital tomorrow. Kind of wish I'd just gone for surgery instead of medical management- hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I was the same about medical management - I felt like a wimp for being scared about the pain and bleeding
I had absolutely no pain at all, and only a day or so of bleeding afterwards. Physically, I wouldn't have known I'd had a miscarriage at all. Emotionally obviously the scars do not heal so easily
Thanks all, another scan tomorrow and then I can decide what my next treatment will be- obviously it's not going to be the pessary again!
Join the discussion
Please login first.