Talk

Advanced search

Gonal F pen help!

(18 Posts)
eaiand2 Sun 24-Apr-16 11:20:12

Please say there's something I can do - I'm due to start injections in about 2 weeks (just priming for cycle to start hopefully next week) and I stupidly didn't store the pen and needles together - I put the pen in the fridge and out the needles in a safe place. Or so I thought.. Now I think my DH was trying to be 'helpful' and tidy up and threw them in the bin.

I've searched high and low! I'm in bits, I've never done injections before and I was really hoping this would do the trick for us after failed clomid attempts. We are do to try a combined cycle with 3-5 days of the gonal pen after clomid, depending on tracking scans, and I really can't afford another pen

Has anyone ever done this before? I'm so annoyed as I remember thinking 'wow, there are loads of needles, way more than I need, should I just shove them all in the sharps bin?' What can I do? Is there a way to get additional needles even though it came with so many?

Beelzebubble Sun 24-Apr-16 12:29:48

I can't see you having any problems replacing the needled if you explain what happened!

cheapredwine Sun 24-Apr-16 13:14:24

Just contact your clinic, am sure they'll be able to help. Are you NHS or private? Worst case scenario you might need to get a whole new lot of gonal F (never used that particular med so am not sure exactly how it works in terms of adding the needle and whether they're a standard size 'off the shelf') and might have to pay for it, but honestly, don't worry too much. They won't let you go without I'm sure. Just phone them tomorrow and explain.

stealthbanana Sun 24-Apr-16 14:19:13

I've got loads of leftovers op. If you don't have any luck with your clinic pm me your name & address (promise I'm not a loon) and I'll post them to you. They're just the little ones that click into the pen right?

Persipan Sun 24-Apr-16 14:45:47

I probably also have some of the pen needles left - I was always on a massive dose so I usually used about 2-3 needles per pen and had about 17 left over! PM me if you need them and I'll pop them in the post tomorrow.

FeelingForSnow Sun 24-Apr-16 15:28:37

These are the needles that you need. You might be able to buy them online (unfortunately, usually comes in boxes of 100) or from your local pharmacists (pen needles do not need prescription) as they are heavily used by diabetes ppl.

Omnican® fine 29G 0.33 x 12 mm (green), with inner shield

My son has got type 1 and we constantly run out of prescription needles (on NHS) and have to buy them ourselves. He needs a different brand to this but they are always available from Boots, Tesco, Lloyds etc.

Also, if you have a community pharmacist I recommend to talk to them they are always ever so helpful. If they normally do not stock this brand they might be able to order pack for your if it is not too late. A box might cost around £20-£30 but do not quote me on that. Im estimating on the brand I buy for my son.

Persipan Sun 24-Apr-16 16:36:05

I have just checked and I do have tons of them, so they're all yours if it helps.

eaiand2 Sun 24-Apr-16 17:33:27

Oh you are all ANGELS. I went into the pharmacy today and was told I'd need a whole new prescription for ANOTHER pen and I'm doing this privately (hence trying the less expensive mini protocol). persipan, I'll PM you.

Persipan Sun 24-Apr-16 18:33:13

Replied! They're all packed up for you; I'll send them off in the morning.

stealthbanana Sun 24-Apr-16 18:59:51

Glad you found a solution OP. Nuts that the pharmacy can't just give you/sell you more!

Blue2014 Sun 24-Apr-16 19:03:49

I'm sure you have enough now but if you get stuck PM me too, i may have some somewhere

eaiand2 Wed 27-Apr-16 09:57:44

Thank you everyone, I've got them now and had a temp drop this morning so I'm really hoping to see AF in the next day or two and get started on this slightly scary new protocol!

Whoever says that mumsnet isn't a great community is totally mistaken!!

Blueroses99 Mon 02-May-16 10:51:53

Ive got a few spare too if you need any more.

eaiand2 Sun 29-May-16 11:49:36

Update: thank you so so so much, my iui cycle with gonal WORKED. I'm now petrified of things going wrong, but I had to come back to say thank you thank you thank you!!!

Persipan Sun 29-May-16 15:00:41

That's wonderful news! I'm so happy for you!

blue2014 Thu 02-Jun-16 18:35:33

Bloody brilliant news - congratulations!smileflowers

AnnaMarlowe Thu 02-Jun-16 18:40:52

flowersflowersflowers

LLB1980 Sun 05-Jun-16 05:25:56

Brilliant news!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now