For all those thinking about taking clomid (clomiphene) - things to insist with your consultant

(24 Posts)
kperkins78 Fri 19-Feb-16 12:47:00

Hi,

If you are thinking of taking Clomid (clomiphene) for the first time, I just wanted to share some things you should ensure your consultant does, so you can avoid the bad experience I had with this:

1) the consultant should put you on no more than 50mg if it is your first time. There is no telling how receptive you will be to this so they should start you off slowly;

2) as well as scanning you after you have taken the pills to check for ovulation, the consultant should also include a scan at the end of your menstrual cycle (whether you get pregnant on it or not). This is to check for any cysts or enlarged ovaries i.e. hyper ovarian syndrome.

Not wanting to scare people away from clomid - I understand it can be perfectly fine, and it probably would have been for me if I had had better advice form my consultant. Unfortunately my consultant put me on the highest dosage (150mg) even though I was brand new to it, and never scanned me at the end of my cycle. This led to a ruptured ovarian cyst, hyper ovarian syndrome and mastitis. Again not trying to be a scaremonger, but if I had had a better consultant with proper duty of care this would not have happened.

Best of luck all!

K

BipBippadotta Fri 19-Feb-16 13:34:39

Christ, that sounds absolutely awful. Hope you are recovered now. thanks

kperkins78 Fri 19-Feb-16 17:45:36

Yes thanks all better now BipBippadotta. Wouldn't want anyone to go through that hell!

bananafish81 Tue 23-Feb-16 09:37:37

You poor thing!! I would also add for anyone reading this thread to insist on scanning to check the endometrial lining - Clomid can thin the lining (especially after multiple cycles and at higher doses) and counterintuitively make it impossible to conceive if nothing can implant!

This can be remedied with some oestrogen tablets to thicken the lining but must be introduced at the right time so as not to block ovulation.

Drives me mad that people are given Clomid without proper monitoring!! It's so irresponsible angry

Sophie3001 Tue 23-Feb-16 13:19:08

Hi all

I have been advised to take clomid 50mg without scans or anything just on my last cycle take 21 day bloods to confirm if it worked or not. Then go back to hospital to eithe up my dosage or stay where I am.

I did ring the hospital and they said they do this for most women that are as young as myself (22) because it may take time to kick in.

Biscuitsforbribes Sat 27-Feb-16 17:17:39

Oh Christ, I hope you've recovered now that sounds horrendous you poor thing! I hope your consultant has apologised!

I was told the exact same thing as you Sophie just yesterday. I will be ringing my fertility dept first thing Monday..

Sophie3001 Sat 27-Feb-16 18:06:40

biscuitsforbribes

Let me know what they say to you. I have spotting today so AF will be here tomorrow then I can start clomid again smile fingers crossed for this month.

Biscuitsforbribes Sun 28-Feb-16 09:14:51

Fingers crossed for you Sophie! I have hideously long cycles due to PCOS, got a feeling I'm going to be waiting months to start mine! Sod's law!

Sophie3001 Sun 28-Feb-16 11:11:13

biscuitsforbribes

Do you take clomid?

I have to take norethisterone before each cycle of clomid because my periods never come

Biscuitsforbribes Sun 28-Feb-16 20:51:19

Not yet, I picked up my first pack Friday night smile excited but very nervous!

My consultant didn't even mention that as an option, so tempted to call up and ask for it. How do you find it?

Sophie3001 Sun 28-Feb-16 21:05:25

She gave it to me because my periods are basically non existent. If you don't mind me asking how regular are yours?

Good luck for clomid are you on 50mg?

Biscuitsforbribes Mon 29-Feb-16 07:05:14

I'm currently on day 28 after a cycle that was ended by a course of progesterone on day 55 because I needed a hycospy. Before that they've been anywhere between 57 days and 84. Crazy stuff!

Thank you smile yes 50mg. When is your first clomid day this cycle? Hopefully this will be your month!

Sophie3001 Mon 29-Feb-16 10:33:28

You should defiantly give them a ring and ask about giving you something to get your periods started otherwise you could be waiting ages for it to finally arrive.

I took my first clomid today cycle 2 take it from2-6. Hopefully by the end of March I will have found out if it's worked or not smile

Biscuitsforbribes Mon 29-Feb-16 16:41:37

Oooh how exciting! Another step closer for you smile

How did you find the norethisterone? Is it a few days of pills? I'm so impatient, I just want to get started!

Sophie3001 Mon 29-Feb-16 17:23:39

It's 10days worth of pills. Then 3 days wait for AF to arrive. Sadly these things aren't quick.

Biscuitsforbribes Thu 03-Mar-16 07:20:00

Hi Sophie, just checking in to see how you're getting on.

Thanks for the advice - I have an appt with my consultant on Monday smile

Sophie3001 Thu 03-Mar-16 07:52:26

Hello

I'm currently on 4/5 days of clomid and cycle day 5. I have my bloods on 21st then appointment to see if it's working 30th

Sophie3001 Thu 03-Mar-16 09:31:22

biscuitsforbribes

Be sure to let me know how Monday goes for you. Really do hope they give you something to kick start things.

I don't know why but I just don't have high hopes for 50mg of clomid. I don't think it's working but I have no way on knowing until my bloods are done and back because opks don't work with my pcos sad

Biscuitsforbribes Mon 07-Mar-16 18:04:44

Hi Sophie how are you feeling? Ahh the OPKs are the worst with PCOS! I didn't realise they didn't work properly and got really confused when I got nine positives in a row!

Sophie3001 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:40:03

Hello

Opks just aren't reliable sad

How did your appointment go?

I'm feeling great to be honest on cd9 so far and will be doing hpt 29th March X

Biscuitsforbribes Tue 08-Mar-16 16:49:39

Hi smile

It turns out I didn't need an appointment yesterday. I took a pregnancy test on a whim on Friday to double check before asking for norethisterone and it was actually positive!

I have no idea how as my consultant said that my bloods indicated that I didn't ovulate last month but he's clearly read them wrong!

Sophie3001 Tue 08-Mar-16 17:28:07

Omg congrats! How far gone?

Hope this is my month too fingers crossed tightly lol

Biscuitsforbribes Tue 08-Mar-16 18:07:20

Five weeks today smile trying to stay calm until we're over the twelve week mark! We're both cautiously excited!

I've got my fingers crossed so tightly for you!

Sophie3001 Tue 08-Mar-16 20:15:03

So happy for you! Hope everything goes okay and the little bean sticks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now