Talk

Advanced search

2 failed ICSI,miracle natural bfp but miscarried - what next?

(5 Posts)
AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 29-Dec-15 12:23:04

I was wondering what other people would do in my situation - my AMH was 0.45 in the spring and DP has low motility. We're both 39 and have a son already.

I had two rounds of ICSI this year - both retrieved 4-5 eggs with 3 fertilised. First round, only one survived until a 2 day transfer, two were transferred in the second round (the 3rd didn't survive to be frozen). Both BFN.

I'd just started down regging for a third round of ICSI when I found out I was pregnant naturally - but miscarried at 6 weeks.

My question is, given that we've now found that we can still conceive naturally, what next? I've already bought the drugs for the 3rd round of ICSI - I've got to pay for the treatment myself. But it seems so expensive and extreme now that I know I can still get pregnant - although I'm also so aware that the clock is ticking given my age.
Argh.

Chattycat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 15:10:28

I think your biggest issue is time if I'm honest. Your amh is very very low. I think the question is whether you want to "risk" waiting for it to happen naturally again in time. How long did it take to get pregnant naturally? Did you get told you couldn't conceive naturally? If you can afford it, I would be tempted to do both. Give it your all to ttc naturally but also get cracking with icsi again. Easy to say I know when it's not me spending the money.

Chattycat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 15:12:41

Also- this is not connected but I'm surprised they had you on the long protocol with an amh that low. Short protocol might be much better for you. My clinuc had me on short protocol when my amh was 2.8. I'd be afraid of my ovaries shutting down completely using long protocol.

Chattycat78 Tue 29-Dec-15 15:14:30

Really sorry I alzo should have said I'm sorry about the miscarriage. I've been there and it's horrible.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Thu 31-Dec-15 17:49:29

Thanks for replying, chattycat. I don't know about the protocol - two different clinics said that is what they'd do.
I don't want to wait for it to happen naturally - I was more wondering about alternatives to ICSI.
We conceived the cycle immediately after the last round of ICSI failed, after doing it once. Our son took about a month of trying and there was about 18mths of half-hearted (on DP's part) trying before we went to a fertility clinic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now