Childless at Christmas (not by choice)...(11 Posts)
Christmas is rammed down our necks as an event made special when you have a family, for those with children.
However, lots of people find themselves childless not through choice, so I thought I would start a list of all the reasons why Christmas can and will be special if you are childless... Hope it doesn't offend anyone, sometimes I think you need to sit back and appreciate what you do have in your life (and I'm learning to live with my childlessness so this will help)
- You can burn your favourite candles on the fireplace without worries of burning little fingers
- You can go to the theatre and watch the ballet... And enjoy it without worrying about toilet stops, sweets, talking in the theatre
- You can treat yourself to an expensive advent calendar such as Yankee candle or nail varnish one without feeling guilty that they money should be spent on presents for the children
- You can watch a grown up Christmas film (thinking family stone or love actually) and sit in peace whilst watching it (and have first pick of your favourite chocolates from the tin you have)
- You can go on work nights out without feeling guilty you are spending the family treat allowance and you don't have to arrange a baby sitter
- You can go to the pub for a quiet drink on Christmas Eve instead of last minute wrapping / building toys etc
- You can take long baths without being disturbed or feeling guilty
- You can lie in on Christmas morning knowing there's no need to rush around, no schedule to follow
Does anyone have any others to add?
You can wake up at a reasonable hour in the morning.
You can have glass aunaments on the tree.
You can leave the tin of roses out without fear that a child will scoff lots when your not looking only to make themselves feel sick.
Have a fancy starter salmon/prawn without worring that it isnt suitable for a child.
Pop out without worring about how your child has lost one of their gloves.
Not cursing those noisy toys later on Christmas day. Not effecting your recovery if you have a tipple and nursing a poorly head as well.
Fly to Cologne for the German markets in December and see the El Dom. Enjoy the Gluhwein and atmosphere, dont forget to eat plenty of bratwurst.
Not having to spend ages undoing the the ties on the back of toys that are securly fastened to the bix/packaging.
Not having to dash out for batteries for all those toys.
Cracking open those walnuts without fear of a shell spinning out of control toward a baby/child.
Take a long car journey to visit family without worring u should be staying at home so the children can play with their toys on christmas day.
You can get thoroughly drunk at inappropriate times of the day
Not having to clock watch to make sure naps are taken at roughly the right time.
Not having to deal with fallout of DC wanting to play with other DC's new toys.
And my biggest one, which isn't just about Christmas: not having to constantly think about the well-being of someone else. Are they hungry?Tired? Need the loo? Need a nappy change? Are about to hurt themselves? Do they want to be picked up and stay in your arms just as you need to get food out of the oven?
No plastic tat toys (unless you'd like some of course!)
No hunting for batteries.
Conversations that aren't constantly interupted.
No guilt about what anyone else is eating
No angst about DCs' behaviour or manners
You can please yourself and do exactly what you want and when.
- You can enjoy all the above festivities without having to either take the DC or pay £60 for someone to sit on your sofa watching your TV while you do.
- You can have morning sex (oh how I miss that)
- No one waking you up on Christmas morning at five-o'fucking-clock to see if Santa has been
- You can get unashamedly pissed safe in the knowledge that you're not responsible for anyone else and that you can sleep in the next morning
- No mountains of toys on Boxing Day to then try to shoehorn into your already full-to-bursting home
- Peace and quiet
You can read a book on the sofa, feet up, drink at your side, for as long as you like.
Pub on Xmas Day if you fancy it.
Open fire, no guard, afternoon sex in front of it.
Stay up late; no one will wake you at dawn.
Watch whatever TV/films you like.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.