Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about follicles

(22 Posts)
ChampagneTastes Fri 04-Dec-15 20:07:05

I have just had my day ten scan. I have two follicles of around 17mm each. This isn't good is it? What are my chances of having any eggs at all? Anyone else had this?

I'm going for egg collection on Monday. I think I just want to be prepared for the worst.

ChampagneTastes Fri 04-Dec-15 20:29:32

Please someone talk to me. FB is down so I can't get in touch with anyone else!

Danaust Fri 04-Dec-15 21:23:28

Im really sorry I can totally relate to the stress you must be feeling now.

I had something similar in my last cycle ( my third), despite 8 follicles at my first scan only 3 developed during stims. The only one which was good enough was Implanted ( a perfect embryo) but unfortunately it didn't take. My first 2 cycles produced 9 and 8 eggs with 100% fertilisation and both with bfps...my clinic had no idea why I responded so badly this time....very helpful-not!

Was this your first cycle? What has your clinic said?

ChampagneTastes Fri 04-Dec-15 21:59:10

Yes first cycle. I have a DS who was conceived naturally but we are now sub-fertile due to my aging eggs and DH's dodgy sperm.

Clinic has said to push on. We are doing but I'm steeling myself for disappointment.

Danaust Fri 04-Dec-15 22:11:35

Yes hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I was fluctuating between it only takes 1 good egg to its not going to work in the 2ww. It was such an emotional roller coaster.

All the best for for Monday and let us know how you get on

ChampagneTastes Sat 05-Dec-15 06:51:07

Thank you Danaust. Hope you get the bfp you want next time around.

eurochick Sat 05-Dec-15 07:38:04

The motto when I was on the IVF threads was IOTO - it only takes one. I did mild IVF and never got high numbers. I got pregnant twice from 4 rounds (although the first one ended in mc).

Good luck op.

Chattycat78 Sat 05-Dec-15 09:41:56

Hi champagne. I did ivf in April 2014. As I have low ovarian reserve, the scan revealed that only 3 follicles were growing. Like you I was mega worried- I even posted on here like you've done.

However, the clinic told me it only takes a good one. I didn't believe them. bUT- I had 2 eggs retrieved- I embryo- I bfp and nine months later one baby boy!!!!! Don't give up yet!!!!

Turquoisetamborine Sat 05-Dec-15 09:49:38

My first cycle I got two eggs, which turned into one embryo. I only have one ovary do was never going to get loads. That cycle failed.

Second cycle I managed seven eggs, five embryos, three survived to blast. One put back and one frozen. I'm currently feeding my baby boy. It does only take one.
Do you have a few other follicles which may catch up?

ChampagneTastes Sat 05-Dec-15 20:59:34

You are all right I know; one egg is all I need. But I am scared that I may not even have that. I've just taken my trigger shot and am now panicking about the whole thing.

No idea if there are any smaller ones but I don't think so. I was given an extra dose of Bemfola to boost the ones I have though.

I guess I'll find out on Monday. I'm a wee bit terrified now. I don't think I really grasped how invested I am.

Chattycat78 Mon 07-Dec-15 10:45:20

How did u get on champagne?

ChampagneTastes Mon 07-Dec-15 14:06:11

Two eggs! Both suitable for fertilisation! Will find out tomorrow morning if that works. Please do keep everything crossed for me. smile

Chattycat78 Mon 07-Dec-15 14:35:09

See - there you go. All u need now is a good embryo.

Danaust Mon 07-Dec-15 16:56:05

All the best, I'm keeping everything crossed for you

ChampagneTastes Mon 07-Dec-15 20:30:53

Thanks both. I'm feeling a bit more positive now. I'll let you know what they say in the morning. If they do fertilise, they're likely to want to transfer pretty much immediately.

Chattycat78 Tue 08-Dec-15 08:36:18

Don't they normally wait til day 3 at least?

ChampagneTastes Tue 08-Dec-15 11:19:55

Two fertilised eggs! I'm provisionally booked in for transfer tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday). They're not waiting any longer since there are only two of them so there's no point. We might transfer both of them.

Danaust Tue 08-Dec-15 14:29:05

Great news!! The transfer is super quick-it will be over before you know it. Then the 2ww begins....

Chattycat78 Tue 08-Dec-15 15:24:18

Good news. Good luck! I did acupuncture after my transfer, not sure if it helped but it did work! I also ate pineapple core every day and listened to the zita west ivf cd.

ChampagneTastes Tue 08-Dec-15 19:34:09

Really? I've been told in no uncertain terms NOT to eat lots of pineapple. Apparently the enzymes can cause miscarriage: that's why some people eat it during the end of their pregnancy, to try to move things along.

A couple of people have mentioned acupuncture, I'll look into it.

I actually feel quite emotional that my little eggs are sat in a petri dish in a lab somewhere. I rather want to be with them, looking after them. I will be much happier when they've been transferred, although all I'll want to do then is sit on the sofa cuddling my tummy!

Chattycat78 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:51:08

Chsmpagne- the pineapple is good if you eat it until getting a bfp. It's good for encouraging implantation, so the idea would be to eat it from ovulation until a bfp. After getting a bfp you would stop eating it for the reasons you state above.

ChampagneTastes Wed 09-Dec-15 22:07:38

Ah I see. Sounds complicated! I now have Perky nestling in my uterus and hopefully burrowing down nicely. I am skiving off work tomorrow to sit at home and cuddle my stomach.

Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now