Advanced search

How early can I do a pregnancy test?

(7 Posts)
MerryBary Fri 04-Dec-15 03:20:46

Hi all,
I have just had an IUI and have been told to take the hcg blood test in two weeks time. The thing is, I'm going to be in the states then! I don't know if I will be able to find a place to do it, or if indeed it won't cost an arm and a leg. And I don't think I can wait the four days until I get home!
So I'm wondering what is likely to be most accurate... a urine pregnacy test on that date or to have the blood test 2 days early (12 days post IUI). What do you think? Have any of you tested early and had a correct result? I'm worried of course about getting a false negative by testing too soon or taking the weaker test.

Sadmother Fri 04-Dec-15 03:50:25

A test taken too early may not be accurate, why put yourself through that level of disappointment for the sake of a few days?

closephine85 Fri 04-Dec-15 07:18:41

Did you have a hcg trigger shot with your IUI? If you did then testing early could give you a false positive as the hcg can remain in your system for 10 days or so. I'd say just take a normal test when you're period is due.

SesameSparkle Fri 04-Dec-15 10:02:34

Hi merry, in the US you might be able to find a diagnostics lab to give you an hcg test, although I reckon you could do a urine test on your otd while you are out there and should get an accurate result. You can then do the blood test when you get back home. The urine test should tell you if you are pregnant or not. The blood test will tell you the exact level of hcg in your blood. Most pregnancy tests are about 99% accurate on the day of your missed period, which is usually counted as 15 days post ovulation, so depending on the timing of your iui that would probably be something like 16 days post iui. An extra sensitive test like a 10miu, superdrug or frer will typically show up a couple of days before that.

MerryBary Fri 04-Dec-15 13:55:13

I know you're all right of course, I was just hoping loads of people would say they tested positve days early! fgrin
Quite honestly Sadmother, I want to fully enjoy my little holiday and I've told myself that going to a nice cocktail bar will take the sting out of a negative result! Sorry if that sounds like a bad reason, but after 4 years ttc I do not have much hope that I will be pregnant. And this is my first holiday for a long time, I'd like to let my hair down and forget all the stress and strain of the last few years. And of course waiting 4 more days to get the result is pretty torturous.
closephine85 I did not know that about the hcg, good to know. Definitely don't want to get my hopes up with a false positive!
Thanks SesameSparkle. I will try to find a lab near where I'm staying. But if not, I think I'll try and buy the most accurate urine test on the market.

Sadmother Fri 04-Dec-15 14:09:34

I do get that those days will feel like a lifetime. But if you do get a negative, won't it be at the back of your mind that it may not be accurate, thus spoiling all that cocktail fun anyway. I hope you get the result you want! Good luck

SesameSparkle Fri 04-Dec-15 16:21:12

Best of luck Merry and I hope you have a lovely break! If it was me, I would probably test with a frer on 13 days post iui. That would give a 98% chance of an accurate result (according to the box), so 2% chance of a false negative. It goes up to 99% if you wait another day. I got a bfp on the equivalent day (12dpo) following ivf, but sadly I mc’d.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: