Advanced search

Advice please!

(9 Posts)
blinkyfink Tue 22-Sep-15 14:20:57

Hello there,

I'm new to this site, and was really hoping some of you could share your thoughts / advice on my situation please.

We have a 12 month old baby that we conceived through IVF after over a year of ttc. I was 37 when we successfully had IVF on our first attempt. In all the tests that we had laparoscopy / hysteroscopy / blood tests/ scans etc the only thing that was suggested as a possible factor in our struggle to get pregnant was a 3cm submucosal firoid, plus subclinical hyper thyroid (the fribroid was completely removed via hysteroscopy just before our IVF, and the thyroid has been dealt with through medication).

I'm now 39 and we are wanting to ttc again. My question to you is, since we were essentially billed as having 'unexplained' infertility, how long would you give ttc naturally? Obviously my age is an even bigger factor now, but i don't want to rush into having ivf again if we don't need it.

The problem is we never had a sniff of a BFP in all the months that we tried, and I can't believe that the small fibroid was the main contributing factor in that.

Any thoughts / advice would be REALLY appreciated. I'm in a bit of a tizz about all this.

Tootsiepops Tue 22-Sep-15 21:53:34

I'm likely to be in the same position as you - am 36 now and 31 weeks pregnant with our first after 2+ years ttc (unexplained infertility), and a round of IVF.

We've got 4 embryos on ice...realistically, I'm going to be 38 when we start trying again. I plan on giving it 6 months tops for a natural conception to happen before going back to my clinic for FET.

Danaust Tue 22-Sep-15 22:04:50

Yes there is lots to consider. Do you what your Amh is or rather was at the time of treatment? are you still breastfeeding?
have your periods returned?

I was also successful on my first try and my clinic advised that I couldn't try IVF again ( my issue is severe endo blocking both tubes so IVF is my only option) until I had 3 periods and had stopped breastfeeding. By which time my dd was 17 months old.

i personally wouldn't wait, at 39 ( also my age) egg quality will likely be the main issue. That's not to say it can't happen for you naturally-you may be lucky.

It might be worth revisiting your clinic and getting your Amh retested and an Antral follicle count done to see how much time(theoretically) you've got to play with whilst still trying naturally at the same time...

blinkyfink Wed 23-Sep-15 06:36:55

Thanks for getting back to me and congratulations on your pregnancy

Danaust, I've stopped breasfeeding and my periods have returned, so ok on that count. I had an ORT just the other day and apparently my results haven;t changed much since before the IVF. So i think my amh was 10 (not great) AFC 14 and FSH 6.

Do you know much about the test results? They confuse me a bit.

Danaust Wed 23-Sep-15 08:40:11

I'm no expert but these are quite good. Much better than me anyway and we are the same age. My Amh is 3.8 and afc was 8 about a month ago. My endo has destroyed my eggs.

That said I wouldn't wait much longer than 6 months of trying naturally. Even though you seem to have good quantity( assuming you respond well to the meds) quality can only be determined afterwards. As I said before this will likely be the main issue in trying to conceive at 39.

All the best

blinkyfink Wed 23-Sep-15 08:44:20

Thanks so much Danaust. I think you're right to give it 6 months.

Good luck with any further treatment you might decide to have!

allchatnicknamesgone Wed 23-Sep-15 10:06:35

I'd give it 6 months. I'm just waiting for the 'starts with the egg' book to arrive - heard good things about it. I've been ttc for over 2 years and had some failed ivf, so should have done it sooner!
If I were you, I'd throw everything at conceiving naturally with vitamins for you both and get him to reduce alcohol intake so his swimmers have best chance.
Good luck to you both.

blinkyfink Wed 23-Sep-15 10:43:09

Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated! I'm currently on pregnacare, vitamin d, zinc, B6, COQ 10. I'm rattling! Anything else?

allchatnicknamesgone Wed 23-Sep-15 14:35:29

Avoid soy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now