Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

frozen or fresh

(10 Posts)
goinggrey1978 Tue 11-Aug-15 17:14:35

at initial consultation yesterday, we asked whether fresh was better then frozen, he said there was a 5% difference, this will be my 2nd IVF try so i just wondered what everybody else did or would suggest??
all help welcome

didwedotherightthing Tue 11-Aug-15 17:43:51

I had a successful pregnancy and live birth from my only fresh IVF cycle. We had a frozen cycle (single black blastocyst transferred) last year which led to a pregnancy but I miscarried at 7 weeks sadly.

How many frozen embryoa do you have? What grades are they? How old are you? Which method of freezing was used. Personally I'd do a frozen cycle first in most cases and we have 2 remaining frozen embies and will try again later this year.

didwedotherightthing Tue 11-Aug-15 17:45:14

Depends on clinic but some studies show frozen success rates are better than fresh.
Also, a standard frozen cycle protocol is much less stressful and uses less drugs.

goinggrey1978 Tue 11-Aug-15 18:05:30

thanks, unfortunately i have none of my own eggs due to very poor egg count and very low ovarian reserve, yesterday doctor asked me whether i would like to use fresh or frozen eggs and just wondered which was better, i will be using the LWC in harley street

VixxFace Tue 11-Aug-15 18:52:27

There's an article in the daily mail today saying that fresh gives a slighter high rate.

However my doctor at the fertility clinic said my ivf success chances will go from 35% to 55% from freezing my eggs rather then putting them straight back in.

goinggrey1978 Tue 11-Aug-15 19:29:00

ahh thanks yes i will have a look at that article, yes i think i will choose a fresh and frozen donor when the time comes and discuss it with the consultant to see what's the best route, as i know all fertility places have different success rates!!
just wanted to see if i could some views of both fresh and frozen cycles to try and get an idea which would be best

VixxFace Tue 11-Aug-15 19:42:39

It might be 5% difference at that particular clinic.
Good luck!

sparechange Wed 12-Aug-15 12:02:29

I had the exact same conversation with our clinic yesterday...

I think it all hinges on what your oestrogen levels are at the point of egg collection, which will be related to how many eggs they collect.

If you have high levels of oestrogen (in my clinic, they count this as anything over 8000), then you are better off going for frozen.
This article will give you more info on the risks to mother and baby from a pregnancy with high oestrogen:
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-geeta-nargund/ivf-risks_b_4657105.html

If you have low levels, then a fresh transfer reduces the risks of embryos perishing. There are no clear studies on success rates for fresh vs frozen cycles where oestrogen levels aren't a factor, but there is currently a big trial underway. The results are 5 years away though...

SesameSparkle Wed 12-Aug-15 13:54:51

Hi OP, if you are going for donor eggs or embryos then position is slightly different as your body is not going through egg collection first. Fresh will have a higher chance of success. However you have to weigh up against cost which may be higher for fresh and for fresh you would have to sync your cycle with your donor - which may need more time and more drugs.

goinggrey1978 Wed 12-Aug-15 14:17:28

SesameSparkle thanks, that's what i needed to know, its donor eggs fresh or frozen that i've been asked to think about, the cost is covered by the CCG so i don;t how to worry about that luckily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now