Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Appointment at fertility clinic tomorrow. Will they give me a print out of my blood tests?

(6 Posts)
ReallyNotAMorningPerson Mon 10-Aug-15 17:41:58

Posted this in conception too as I'm hoping to get advice before tomorrow.

I've been TTC since last year and have been referred to a fertility clinic as I'm 38.

I was just wondering, do they give you a print out of your blood test results (the Day 21, thyroid, etc)?

I've already been there for the internal scan a few months ago. They gave me very little information then, just said that it 'looked fine'. I asked the woman who did the scan how many follicles she could see and she refused to tell me. She just said 'enough'.

Am wondering then whether they're going to be equally vague about my blood test results when I go to get them tomorrow e.g. they might say they look 'in the normal range' (if they are).

I keep reading that's it good to know exactly what your results are. Do you think they'll give me a copy of the results, or will I need to ask? And will they oblige, if so?

Due to my experience with the internal scan, am worried they'll say no and I'm not great at being assertive in those situations.

CorBlimeyTrousers Mon 10-Aug-15 17:45:29

I wasn't given a printout of results as standard. If I wanted to know I asked and wrote them down. If you want a copy then ask. It's not unreasonable. If you're a private patient they're YOUR results, you've paid for them. And even NHS then the most they should do is charge printing costs (my GP surgery does this when I've asked for blood test print outs - to take to my private IVF clinic as it happens).

I was also told how many follicles were seen on scans. Why wouldn't they tell you that? Ask tomorrow as they should know exactly how many were seen at the previous appointment.

Good luck with your results and any treatment.

ReallyNotAMorningPerson Mon 10-Aug-15 18:54:53

Thanks very much Cor, that's helpful.

I don't know why she wouldn't tell me about number of follicles. I thought it was odd. She really didn't want to tell me. I asked directly too, and her reply - 'Enough' - was definitely designed to shut down further enquiry.

I wondered if that was her policy with all patients or whether my number was on the low side and she didn't want me to 'fret'. (Which I wouldn't have done. I just wanted to know!)

I've not had any children yet so all these investigations are with the NHS.

I think I'll definitely ask for a print out (and hope they comply)!

Hyland Tue 11-Aug-15 18:16:11

on my first scan on nhs there was no mention of follicles and then when i did scan again recently the guy started talking about me having at least 12 on one side and 7 on the other ( a combined 19, when i probed, i was advised a comboned 10 is good).

At the time i assumed the test was just more thorough this time round coz they base the result on the strength if drugs to give like the amh blood test i believe.

my gp charged me 35p for each page of results upon my request.

CanISayOfHerFace Tue 11-Aug-15 18:43:40

I asked for copies and if they wouldn't give them I snapped a photo with my phone or wrote them down.

My treatment was with the NHS and the nurses were amazing but not always forthcoming with details! If you want to know you have to ask. This is especially important if you like to research and if you want to play an active role in your treatment. I found I really had to be an advocate for myself and my treatment. After all, no one wants this more than you smile

Good luck!

ReallyNotAMorningPerson Sat 15-Aug-15 09:23:51

Apologies, I posted this in conception too and I didn't see these replies.

Thank you Hyland and CanISay.

You were right - they didn't give me the results. I wish I'd seen your post CanISay, I would've taken a photo too! I had to remember as many as I could and scribble them down afterwards. They said I could write in to get a copy - what a faff though!

Results also we're not great so looks like I'll be on the infertility board from now on (DH has low motility).

Many thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now