Talk

Advanced search

Progesterone levels

(24 Posts)
Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Fri 07-Aug-15 21:14:36

Been trying for a baby for 7 years. Not able to have Ivf and clomid only resulted in a miscarriage. My problem is that I don't ovulate. Prior to clomid my day 21 progesterone was only 0.2. It was 2 years ago, so I can't remember what the drs classed as 'ovulation' - was it a progesterone level of 20?

I've changed gps and my new gp offered to do a day 21 test this month. I,ve been using herbal/vitamin supplements and accupuncture/refkexology in a last ditch attempt to get myself ovulating. I,ve just got the results and it was 12. Is this high enough to count as having ovulated????

TwinkleStars15 Fri 07-Aug-15 23:11:21

I don't think so, I think it needs to be higher than 20, although some say 30.

DizzyMerry Sat 08-Aug-15 15:40:31

What dosage of clomid are you taking? My progesterone a few months ago was 17 and although my GP said there may be some ovulation activity she didn't think it was strong enough. It was 11 about 6 years ago but thankfully we conceived naturally and DD is now 2.7. I'm pregnant now with DC2 and had acupuncture for a couple of months. I had two sessions per month just after AF and mid cycle. My DH also had poor morphology to complicate matters but he was on supplements. I definitively think it's worth trying acupuncture.

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sat 08-Aug-15 16:35:08

I'm not on clomid now, just giving myself a last chance on all the natural stuff. Any hints on how to naturally increase progesterone much appreciated!

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sat 08-Aug-15 16:36:10

Glad to hear accupuncture has worked for some people! smile

Naty1 Sat 08-Aug-15 17:50:30

Depends on why its low. Have you ruled out thyroid/pcos?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 08-Aug-15 19:00:08

I was going to ask the same question as Naty1 re whether you've been diagnosed with PCOS or possible thyroid problems.

Progesterone is only part of the story, LH and FSH are two very important levels that kickstart the ovulation process. If your LH and FSH levels are awry then this will affect ovulation as well.

Levels of 30 or over would indicate ovulation.

Herbal stuff won't necessarily increase progesterone levels at all and you could be just wasting your cash on such things.

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sun 09-Aug-15 03:57:03

Oh no! I was pinning my hopes on all the herbal shit stuff sad
Initial fertility tests actually highlighted a thyroid problem and I've now been on thyroxine for the past two years and thyroid levels are now stable. This most recent blood work has also flagged up a possible high blood sugar - have to go for a fasting blood test next week to confirm.
I,m taking agnus castus and vitamin d, and was just about to order progesterone cream - but is the general consensus that this would ve a waste of money??.

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sun 09-Aug-15 03:58:53

About 7 years ago, bloodwork indicated pcos but subsequent scans showed no signs of it. Just no ovulation sad I 100% used to ovulate , but have no idea why or when I stopped. I have a completely regular 28 day cycle.

Hellionandfriends Sun 09-Aug-15 04:03:16

Can you use clomid plus herbal stuff? Maybe your original clomid dose was too low anyway?

There are other means to achieve ovulation but you'd need to see a private consultant

Hellionandfriends Sun 09-Aug-15 04:04:28

Getting your thyroid sorted should help lots!

Hellionandfriends Sun 09-Aug-15 04:05:36

I have a friend who only got pregnant once her thyroid was more normal due to meds

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sun 09-Aug-15 04:12:51

I,ve had 6 rounds of clomid which I was led to believe was the maximum allowed? I ovulated on the last 5 cycles of it (according to blood tests and scans) and fell pregnant once but miscarried.

Due to other, unrelated, health issues my fertility clinic won't support us to get Ivf or icsi (?). Hence my desperate reliance on natural methods. sad

Hellionandfriends Sun 09-Aug-15 04:28:34

I thought it was 12 rounds of clomid? Maybe it varies from clinic to clinic

Hellionandfriends Sun 09-Aug-15 04:32:10

I had two rounds of four moths clomid. So 8 months total

There are other ways to induce ovulation though. I was offered something privately which would have involved self injecting daily.

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sun 09-Aug-15 04:44:15

If there is something else medically available I would definately do it. Where the hell did I get this idea I could only have 6 rounds of clomid ever??!!

Hellionandfriends Sun 09-Aug-15 04:48:49

Where are you? Location wise

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Sun 09-Aug-15 13:02:10

Scotland

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Mon 10-Aug-15 15:24:08

It's day 26 of my cycle and I,ve got brown spotting - does this mean the day 21 test was done on the wrong day, as this cycle must be shorter than 28 days?

Thanks

Naty1 Mon 10-Aug-15 18:08:29

What was your recent tsh?
I think fertility clinic wanted it under 2.5 for ivf. And ive read 1 is better.

Hellionandfriends Mon 10-Aug-15 18:45:53

It could be your period??? Implantation spotting also crossed my mind but I know its unlikely.

Do you track your cycles? Cervical mucus? Temps?

Maybe you ovulated earlier? Or maybe your lutunal phase was a couple of days shorter?

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Mon 10-Aug-15 22:35:50

It will be my period, as I do occasionally have spotting before it :/

I do check my cervical mucus but tbh I hardly have any ever! I used to chart my temp so should really go back to that. Made an appt with my gp to discuss the results but it's not until the 26th, so frustrating!!

Paigesmummy89 Wed 12-Aug-15 10:57:33

Hi girls please some advice, I have a 7 year old and haven't been able to conceive due to low pedestrone this is my 1st round of Clomid my fertile days are from Monday and I'm meant to be ovoulating on Friday please help, I really don't understand Thease tests whats with the faint other line also how often am I meant to be doing the deed? I'm doing every other day is that right? Any feedback would be really appricated! ��

Hellionandfriends Wed 12-Aug-15 13:28:57

Every other day is perfect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now