Talk

Advanced search

Surprise sperm issue after years of ttc

(3 Posts)
ZippyBopit Thu 25-Jun-15 21:11:03

Hi,
I have found this forum so useful over my years ttc and just wanted to share my latest nightmare in the hope it might help others.

LONG story but after a naturally conceived miscarriage over 8 years ago everything of late has pointed to my eggs being the issue after failed IVF's.

After failed fertilisation in 2 IVFs (with only 2 eggs each time though!) my dh's sperm was put into a research study trial for various things and it turns out his sperm has a complete lack of, or a reduced amount of a protein necessary for fertilisation.

My understanding is his sperm can't or has a massively reduced capacity to fertilise an egg even through ICSI (the previous conception sounds like it was a miracle or these levels vary, I'm not sure? I don't think the doctors are sure even). From the sample provided we were told that in combination with ICSI it would also need artificial oocyte activation to make it fertilise an egg. ICSI on it's own would only provide the same low fertilisation result.

Anyway these tests aren't available through a clinic, only through a research study (I think it was only discovered in 2002 and is still in the research phase). It's called 'PLC zeta' and I think our test was carried out through a research centre in Oxford.

It's been pretty devastating to discover this after so many years ttc and it's probably pretty rare but I hope that this info helps someone.

Good luck in your ttc x

ScrambledEggAndToast Thu 25-Jun-15 21:15:39

Sorry to hear that OP. Is there anything that can be done?

ZippyBopit Thu 25-Jun-15 22:07:52

Hi Scrambled,
It wouldn't be so bad if I weren't such a poor responder to IVF. His sperm issue reduces the fertilisation percentage which isn't good. Our best chance of success is donor eggs but still mulling over a last ditch attempt with own eggs seeing as we've just discovered this fertilisation problem.
Thanks for posting. I hope your ttc is fairing better (if you are ttc of course) x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now