Talk

Advanced search

To do ICSI again or not?

(10 Posts)
Amummyatlast Tue 23-Jun-15 16:20:54

We were extremely lucky to get our DD through ICSI on the NHS. We have been trying for a second naturally for 18 months now in the hope that pregnancy would have fixed whatever is wrong, but we've had no luck (we have unexplained infertility).

I keep going round in circles as to whether or not to do it again. We really want another DC and I had a good long cry last night about the fact that several of our friends are pregnant with 2nd babies. But it just seems that there are so many downsides - cost obviously, but also time off work and the impact of the drugs on my body. Our IVF/ICSI treatment didn't go 'well' (despite the fact I got pregnant) because we didn't get any eggs fertilised on the first go and only got 1 viable embryo on the second go, despite having loads of eggs collected. ICSI is supposed to have a 75% fertilisation rate and we only got 25% fertilised. So it seems like an awful lot of money to spend on something that we know we respond poorly to. But yet, I really want another and I'm conscious that I'm quickly heading towards 35, when success rates start to go down. So if we do it it needs to be soon.

I just don't know what to do.

sparechange Tue 23-Jun-15 17:53:20

what has your clinic said?
What was the reason you had icsi and why did they think your fertilisation rate was low? Did they warn you before treatment?

Amummyatlast Tue 23-Jun-15 18:24:26

We haven't spoken to the clinic yet, as we'd need to pay for the consultation and we have a feeling they will say 'it's fine, go ahead'. (They were a good clinic, but they are still a business and IMO are unlikely to turn down the money if there is a ghost of a chance.)

We had to do ICSI because the IVF failed (no fertilisation). We were told that it could have been due to egg quality because I produced too many eggs and had OHSS.

sparechange Tue 23-Jun-15 18:38:46

So you need to find a clinic that will do low stims to get a low number of eggs that are higher quality? The problem might be the approach of your clinic rather than your eggs and sperm?

Amummyatlast Tue 23-Jun-15 21:06:10

They did lower my stimms to 75 and put me on a short protocol, which helped a lot, but I still had too many eggs. I guess I'm reluctant to change clinics given we had a successful outcome rom there, but then it may not be the best (or cheapest) option for us.

Cheesypop Tue 23-Jun-15 21:15:18

I would say if you are keen for second baby then I would try ivf/icsi again. You have one precious dd and that is wonderful but it does not seem that you will conceive naturally, so another round of treatment is likely to be your only option. That's the reality.

Would you consider going abroad? There are plenty of clinics (try Prague for example) with very advanced techniques, and far lower costs than the UK.

Ensure they know your history of OHSS (my sympathies as my first round of ICSI was cancelled for OHSS) and hopefully you will stim better and produce fewer, better quality eggs next time round.

I say go for it while you are under 35, but I am the sort of person who would rather try something that didn't work than not try at all.

Good luck flowers

Viasabat Tue 23-Jun-15 21:25:57

I could have written your post. We had Icsi and now have our lovely 19 month old DD. everyone around us seems to be getting pregnant, and I feel so sad that our dd may be an only child. We are about to start Icsi again next month I am 35 now and feels it's some thing I have to at least try. I feel if I don't I will never stop thinking what if.

lugo40 Wed 24-Jun-15 07:10:57

I know you are reluctant to try a new clinic but I've been reading up about natural Ivf/icsi which is only done by create clinic in uk. It's much cheaper and sounds like you are the type of couple they are best at helping . Might be worth having a read or a chat to them

Amummyatlast Wed 24-Jun-15 17:44:02

Thanks everyone.

Naty1 Tue 30-Jun-15 11:06:28

We also had very low fertilisation. 2/7 with icsi (bfp) only 1 embryo
We tried again when dd was 1.5 (bfn) 2/9 - triggered too soon due to number of follicles.
The next cycle cancelled due to no response 3 follicles and possible hydro
Then 13 eggs collected 5 fertilised. Still only 2 good embryos (bfp)
So it took over a yr, and may have been successful just due to luck. (I was just over 35 that last cycle.
That last cycle i used gonal f rather than menopur and grew them a bit bigger but did coast the last 2 days.
They didnt want to change protocol as my 1st one worked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now