Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What next?

(5 Posts)
D0bbie Mon 15-Jun-15 19:26:08

Just a bit of background: We started our first IVF cycle with ICSI in January. This had to be abandoned after egg collection due to OHSS, but we were lucky enough to get 9 blastocysts frozen at day 5. We were advised to go for a non-medicated FET, which we then couldn't start until this month, when I got my first positive ovulation test. Yesterday I got a BFN, following transfer of 1 blast. We now have to decide what to do next, and I wondered if anyone had any advice/experience?

The clinic have said they will send out a follow-up appointment for further discussion, but they can't say when this will be. In theory, there is nothing to stop us trying the again this month, but we won't have had the follow-up appointment, and so there would be no opportunity to discuss any potential changes. Because it was a non-medicated cycle, I had no scans or other monitoring, so I'm not sure that the follow-up will really add anything at this point in terms of understanding what might have gone wrong (and therefore what to try differently next time). Ultimately, I don't want to delay our next attempt for the follow-up, if all they are going to say is that we should try the same again. On the other hand, I have been reading about improved outcomes with the scratch, or at some point I expect we would move to a medicated cycle, so I don't know whether it would be better to wait for the follow-up to have chance to discuss these options.

Sorry for rambling - it's all so confusing, but we need a plan!

aussie82 Mon 15-Jun-15 22:46:17

hi dobbie,

sorry it didnt work for you first time but good to know your thinking about your next steps.

just wondering... will your clinic let you start another cycle without a follow up apps? sorry but I dont really know much about non-medicated FET. if the follow up appointment is a long wait... is it worth looking elsewhere for second opinion?

xxx

D0bbie Tue 16-Jun-15 18:44:06

Thanks for your reply Aussie.

The nurse said there's no reason not to try again this month. I just wondered if others had any experience of this kind of situation. I think I'll try to wait to hear about the follow-up (they gave no idea when it might be), and if my patience wears out, then I might look into a second opinion as you suggested.

Thanks again x

BeedlesPineNeedles Tue 16-Jun-15 19:00:42

Sorry about your BFN, and the wait from January until now to actually use one of your embryos must have seemed like forever. But 9 blastocysts is amazing! Can you check your clinics results for FET, medicated or unmedicated. I know my clinic says that they get their best results from FET and unmedicated is their preferred option. And really, the chances that you will get pregnant from one of those embryos must be really good.

For me personally the only thing that really takes pain away from a BFN is planning the next treatment. So I'd say go for it.

And good luck!

D0bbie Wed 17-Jun-15 19:39:09

Thanks Beedles. I hadn't thought to look for the clinic stats, and your suggestion has led me to loads of interesting (and contradictory) stories about success rates in different clinics. I guess I need to start accepting the huge amounts of uncertainty throughout this whole process!

Thanks for the encouragement as well. I had hoped for first time lucky, but now it's onwards and upwards (hopefully!)

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now